Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MAJOR!! Wireless strength issue

This is a discussion on MAJOR!! Wireless strength issue within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have wireless problem with a laptop the laptop is only one year old. BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE ...

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

MAJOR!! Wireless strength issue

i have wireless problem with a laptop the laptop is only one year old.

BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE ROUTER (WHITE NETGEAR ONE V1)

i used to be able to connect all over my house. about 8 months ago but the routers wifi signal cuts out one floor down.now the router is fitted with a 9DB antenna bought 6 months ago which acording to one poster on here. it is supposed to cover 1.2km not only 40mtres.

i am on the verg of selling this laptop on ebay if this problem is not sorted out soon

please see attached pics for referance

LAPTOP IS ACER 3680

HDD 80gb
      RAM 1gb
      WIRELESS athos wifi built in adapter
      DISPLAY 15.4 Widescreen
      O/S Windows XP Home sp2

any help would be greatfully recieved
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAJOR!! Wireless strength issue-wireless-athos-adapter.jpg   MAJOR!! Wireless strength issue-windows-wireless-selector.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: MAJOR!! Wireless strength issue

With more networks close to you, have you tried changing the router Channel. As more people get wireless networks this is going to be more and more of a problem. It does not matter if you had a good connection before, someone else could have recently turned on/changed channel and is interfering with you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

oh! ok what channel do you recommend

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

trial and error would be the best way

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sorted Cheers

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Best channels to experiment with initially are 1, 6 and 11 - there should be 5 channel spacing between each.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Best channels to experiment with initially are 1, 6 and 11
      This has been raised before in the forum and if you were in USA you would be quite correct, but in Europe 13 channels are used. So the best spacing is 1 7 13. Although the best channel is the one that gives you the best reception. Many use Channel 13, as apparently it is not subject to as much interference as the lower ones. I personally use 13, but some cards, notably in Toshiba's laptops do not recognize it, probably because they use US standards.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know what you're saying is technically true, but there is merit in using the 1, 6, 11 rule of spacing to avoid overlapping.

Since the spectral mask only defines power output restrictions up to 22 MHz from the center frequency to be attenuated by 50 dB, it is often assumed that the energy of the channel extends no further than these limits. It is more correct to say that, given the separation between channels 1, 6, and 11, the signal on any channel should be sufficiently attenuated to minimally interfere with a transmitter on any other channel. Due to the near-far problem a transmitter can impact a receiver on a "non-overlapping" channel, but only if it is close to the victim receiver (within a meter) or operating above allowed power levels.

Although the statement that channels 1, 6, and 11 are "non-overlapping" is limited to spacing or product density, the 1–6–11 guideline has merit. If transmitters are closer together than channels 1, 6, and 11 (for example, 1, 4, 7, and 10), overlap between the channels may cause unacceptable degradation of signal quality and throughput.[6]

Source =Wikipedia IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      The point is to be sufficiently separate from the adjacent channel as to minimise any overlap and the 1, 6, 11 rule will suffice.

My own experience is that using the 1, 6, 11 has worked every time - and of course it avoids incompatibilities as you have seen with the Toshiba laptop.

Wireless LAN is a bit of a black art - I've seen some whacky stuff using it.

NB: My Sky router came set up for Channel 11 out of the box.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      I know what you're saying is technically true, but there is merit in using the 1, 6, 11 rule of spacing to avoid overlapping.
      No, that's the point Isitme was making. Those are not non-overlapping in the UK.

You're quoting 802.11b and 802.11g non overlapping channels used in the US whereas we're in Europe. Here we use channels 1 to 13 (US is 1 to 11) and actually the channels that don't overlap in the Sky router, are therefore 1, 7 and 13.

The "best" channel to use is one that is as far away as possible from any other frequencies being broadcast within range. If people think say channel 6 is one of the "best" and two adjacent people use it then that's not going to be very satisfactory.

In an environment where other devices can not be detected, channel 13 is probably a good choice as it is likely to be least affected by other sources of interference such as the military, microwave ovens, radio amateurs etc.

HTH

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The safest option is Ch 1, 6 and 10 as that covers all equipment from all maufacturers in all locations worldwide. Even in Europe their is no general agreement on Ch numbers and Spain for example follows the USA rule. I've found that even moving a single Ch (from say 4 to 5) can have a dramatic effect and I always recommend trying all the Ch and chosing the best for the location at that time. As someone said 'it's a black art' and don't forget to move the DECT phone and turn off the microwave and move your bluetooth enabled phone away from the router. So many variables!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast