Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Netgear DG834GT router dropping wireless connection speed

This is a discussion on Sky Netgear DG834GT router dropping wireless connection speed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have the Netgear DG834GT router. I am using an IBM T43p laptop and connecting to the router using Intel(R) ...

jas141076 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01926
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Netgear DG834GT router dropping wireless connection speed

I have the Netgear DG834GT router. I am using an IBM T43p laptop and connecting to the router using Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection using the IBM Access Connection software to manage this.

I am having problems with the wireless connection speed betwen the laptop and routrer dropping. During normal use it measures 54Mbps, then for no reason it drops to 21Mbps, at this point I have no connection (can't browse the web, come sup with a blank IE page and says cannot find server) even though the Signal Strength says excellent and the Ststus is connected. Occasionally the router and laptop just disconnect

This happens about 3-4 times a day, usually I just have to select reconnect but sometimes I have to unplug the router and restart it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Netgear DG834GT router dropping wireless connection speed

Moved to wireless

if your problem was with dropping every 10mins i would have suggested yu turn off upnp (with the white netgear this was a problem for some)
      but your problem sounds more like interference
      you could try changing the channel (when you search for the wireless do you see lots of others on the same channel)
      you could also move the router away from any electrical bits (dect phones / TV / ect)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had a look and yes there are a number of other wireless signals, 8, they are pretty evenly spread between channl 1,6 and 11 (I understand that these are the only channels that Sky broadband works on)

The router is on a shelf above the TV, could this make a difference? What is a dect phone?

Thanks for your help

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Dect is cordless, as to the channel you can use any you need to (i think sky just recomend the ones you mentioned)
      use one as far away from others as you can and see how you go
      (if you do still get the disconnects, you could then try moving the router away from the TV)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just had one of the most infuriating days with my connection...

I used my lapt top in the bedroom all of yesterday with no problems. Then today it has been connecting and disconnecting instantly on, off, on, off. If it's not doing that the spped is dropping

The signal strength varies between excellent and very good it styas connect but the speed varies between 54Mbps for not very long down to 11Mbps.

If I'm downstairs then the connection is fine as soon as I go into the bedroom (above the living room where the router is) I cannot use the internet.

Any help...

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I occasionally have the same issue with Netgear USB and Netgear PCMCIA wireless adapters when connecting to the Sky/DG834GT router (never with the Netgear PCI wireless adapter).

Sometimes cured by rebooting the router (using the working computer and addressing the router's user interface).

I put it down to poor reception (either simply that, or some effect it has on the router).
      As you've seen it's cured by moving the computer to a better location for reception.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try Channel 13. Many believe what they read on the net, that 11 is the highest channel you can use. This applies in USA and some other countries but not UK. For this reason it is quite often the best one to use as many think it does not work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.