Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't recognise Sky router

This is a discussion on Can't recognise Sky router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; We have Sky BB wireless and all works well with our laptop. Friend came over with his laptop and wanted ...

helva is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't recognise Sky router

We have Sky BB wireless and all works well with our laptop. Friend came over with his laptop and wanted to access internet. His laptop (Win XP with wifi) did not automatically locate Sky router connection as expected. With Sky router oes one have to connect new laptop to router with ethernet cable first? Normally any new computer in any household with any router will find the new connection and connect once the right passwords etc are defined.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can't recognise Sky router

The laptop should detect the router, when an attempt to connect to it occurs the router will then ask for then network key to enable it to use the wireless. Did your friends laptop detect any wireless devices in the area at all?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you set up the Access List in the Wireless settings? This would stop 'unknown' PCs connecting. I rather think the fault is with your friend's Laptop. Is he able to connect to other routers? If not he should uninstall then re-install the wireless adapter.

Finally you are sure they had the WiFi turned on? Many Laptops have an external switch to enable it. On another forum I frequent, a member spent days trouble shooting, then found it was as simple as moving a switch from off to on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Another thing is the firewall that he was using it could have been blocking the network did he click on anything that said allow access or something like that because i get that all the time mcafee blocking the connection.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all. Yes his laptop can connect to other routers - particularly his BT one at his home.
      Isitme - haven't tried Access List in wireless settings; how do we do that please. Will check that he had switch turned on - if his Tosh has one!
      jonny1310 - will have to check that too.
      Reassuring, however, that Sky router does not automatically ban any other machine in the vicinity which is what I was beginning to believe!
      As the house with Sky is not nearby it looks as though I will have to borrow his machine and try it where I am now which has another ISP/router - that would answer most of these questions.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I am using a toshiba laptop aswell and the switch is on the front underneath the lip at the end and also you have to press fn and f8 buttons and make sure it is on aswell.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

haven't tried Access List in wireless settings; how do we do that please.
      If you have not set it up to restrict access then it will be OK, it's open by default.

There is one other thing I thought of, if the LT is used in a work environment it may be set up to access a specific router. You can check this by opening the LAN card properties, highlight Internet protocol, click the properties button and make sure 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is ticked. If it is a works LT and is set up to use a specific address, you will have to change back to that address to gain access to the works router. If it is not, leave it on the Auto setting. If they are not to familiar with the LT, then my money is on the switch.

If it is set up to obtain an address automatically, it should be able to connect to any router that does not have restricted access, so you can try it where you like

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isitme.
      Thanks, but no it is not used in a work environment, just at his home.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isitme
      Got the machine home with me. Checked the Internet Protocol and it is indeed set to obtain address automatically.
      One strange thing though - on my machine and my wife's if I go to Network Connections/Create New Connection the wizard has a link at the bottom which says "view wireless networks in range". My friend's lappy (which also runs XP Home) does not have this option. Could something be blocking this, like Norton 2006 which he has?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isitme

Forgot to say, no problem with ethernet cable connection to my router so it has to be a wireless thing somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast