Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Network Key not recognised

This is a discussion on Network Key not recognised within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am trying to add another PC to my wireless network and have purchased a network adaptor (identical to the ...

keithtb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Network Key not recognised

I am trying to add another PC to my wireless network and have purchased a network adaptor (identical to the one I am using on another PC). The adaptor seems to be working OK - it has found the wireless network but when I try to enter the Network Key (which worked fine on the other PC) I get a long message which starts "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104 bits depending on yout network configuration..." As a wireless novice this means little to me. Can anyone help, please?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Network Key not recognised

You need to get onto ethernet, go into the router settings page (192.168.0.1, user name admin, password sky) and click on setup link (top left corner) in the screen that comes up change the router from WPA encryption to WEP, put a pass phrase in to the box, click the generate button, click apply and then use the key produced next to key 1 for your wireless network. It may be that you have already got the router set to WEP in which case just look at what key is in use and use that on the new adaptor.
      If its the same adaptor on the same operating system then the same key should work but if something is different and you need to switch to WEP then both PCs will then need to be given the new key.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The message you are receiving relates to WEP security. If you have not changed the default in the router then it could be that the adapter needs to be configured to accept a WPA key. If you double click the icon in the system tray, it should bring up the configuration pane. Somewhere on it will be an option to select the type of security you want. Usually a dropdown box or a tickable button. Select WPA and use the Key from the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

keithtb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks to paulsky - I did as suggested and everything now works fine. I did have to re-install the adaptor driver on the first machine but that was no problem

John199 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121382
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As regards the Network Key, this was preconfigured before the router arrived, and consists of 8 characters. It is printed on the bottom of the router.

Question, which I thought of when helping a friend to set up their (non-Sky) wireless network, the predefined key there is much longer, and a combination of scrambled letters and numbers. Clearly much more secure than with my Sky-provided router.

So the question is, if I change the setting in the router, and obviously change it to the same in each wireless-accessing computer, is this OK, or will the router stop working, or anything like that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should change the key to something more secure than the Sky default. The wireless on your router will not stop working

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.