Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Max Performance Issues using Wireless

This is a discussion on Broadband Max Performance Issues using Wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Just wondered if this is a common finding!!. When connected to my router DG934G via wireless Netgear PCMIA adaptors ...

stevecml is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Broadband Max Performance Issues using Wireless

Hi
      Just wondered if this is a common finding!!.

When connected to my router DG934G via wireless Netgear PCMIA adaptors I'm running with a 2-3 MB connection download speed. When I first saw this I was not too happy especially when I signed up for upto 16Mb performance..

So anyway, I tested some more and did a direct ethernet connection to the DG934G and hey presto I'm nearly up to 15MBS most of the time.

Can anyone explain the big difference in performance. I've tried changing channels on the router and also moving my laptop nearer to the router but I see no change in download throughput. Surely wireless should be better than this shouldn't it?? Or is it common to see a 70% less efficient conection when going with wireless..
      Thanks for your advice..

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Max Performance Issues using Wireless

Wireless is almost always inferior to a wired connection. It is susceptible to so many forms of interference from other electrical items in the house. Saying that tho it should perform better than what you are seeing. Try experimenting with wireless channels, it may be a neighbour is using the same channel as you, and you could try a different position for the router. I saw a post earlier today that suggested the V2 router perfoms better when stood up as its ariel is internal.
      New router = weak wireless!
      Last edited by dholdi; 08-03-08 at 04:55 PM.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

moved to wireless

stevecml is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
      After some searching about the web I finally found a brilliant solution.
      I don't really understand all the technical aspects but I found if I changed the TCP receive window value to 64240 and the MTU value to 1500 in my registry it fixed my problem.

I'm actually really amazed at the difference in performance. So, if you see a major difference in performance between wire to ethernet and wireless I recommend you have a look at the settings mentioned.

Thanks Again!

Hopeful is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Broadband Max Performance Issues using Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by stevecml View Post
      Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
      After some searching about the web I finally found a brilliant solution.
      I don't really understand all the technical aspects but I found if I changed the TCP receive window value to 64240 and the MTU value to 1500 in my registry it fixed my problem.

I'm actually really amazed at the difference in performance. So, if you see a major difference in performance between wire to ethernet and wireless I recommend you have a look at the settings mentioned.

Thanks Again!
      Been having problems with wireless speeds. While using my laptop and searching for available wireless networks, several sky ssid are shown.
      How can you tell what channel other routers are on and where would you change the above settings if changing channel does not work??

Hopeful is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just had to come upstairs to use the wired pc to post. Despite my laptop saying very good signal strength the pages are just not loading. Please can some point me in the right direction. I did a search in the forum and did not come up with anything useful. I have the new blk netgear router, and unless I am a few feet from it I can't use it anywhere else in the house.
      I just want to know how can you tell what channel other users may be on and how can I choose the best channel for speed, or is it trial and error.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are not running Vista, try downloading and using TCPOptimiser follow the instructions and it will set up your PC/Laptop to it's full potential. Do this before you try to correct any wireless issues.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Also it may not just be other routers causing interferrence on wireless, wireless sits in the 2.4 GHz "free" radio range and every wireless type device sits in there, I have 9 devices that are wireless and they all sit in this heavily congested zone.

So routers are common but your neighbours may have wireless doorbells, video senders (my neighbours router interferes with mine and I can't move the senders frequency on another clear channel as there is none), my thermostat is wireless and so is the boiler controls on the central heating is wireless.

There needs to be a whole tidy up of the system.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I meant to say in my earlier post you should download Netstumbler this will help you find the best position and channel to use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.