Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boosting wireless signal strength

This is a discussion on Boosting wireless signal strength within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, my Sky router is situated down stairs (DG834) .. However, I play my Xbox 360 two floors up ...

g3az66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Lee
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Boosting wireless signal strength

Hi all,

my Sky router is situated down stairs (DG834) .. However, I play my Xbox 360 two floors up and the signal strength is low and occasionally I lose the connection. It is not possible to move the router to a more central location.

Can the the aerial be replaced with a higher gain one? Or can I buy something to boost the signal on?

cheers

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Boosting wireless signal strength

I saw this recently in pcformat magazine, meant to post a thread about it but forgot. I suppose here is as good a place as any. Never tried it so dont know if it works. Let us know.
      PC Format Blog
      Last edited by dholdi; 28-03-08 at 06:22 PM.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi all
      okay had a look at that but I cannot see how a paper template could work. Also how it used. I would think that the template is used to cut out that shape using some kind of metal but I still cannot make out how to use it with the existing router antenna without buying the magazine LOL. Anyone got any ideas as it could be a useful item of kit.

Thanks

No - apparently its made from paper, i'll scan the article tommorow and put it on here. Its not april 1st yet so I dont think its a windup

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Take a look here Wifi-Antennas.co.uk | High Grade Wireless Antennas > Bluetooth, P2P, P2MP, 802.11b, 802.11b+, 802.11g, 802.11g+ they sell many different types of antenna for WiFi. Or a DIY solution Parabolic Reflector Free WiFi Booster | Do-It-Yourself Wireless Antennas Update and Wi-Fi Resource Center | WiFi Wireless Q & A and here Parabolic Reflector Free WiFi Booster | Do-It-Yourself Wireless Antennas Update and Wi-Fi Resource Center | WiFi Wireless Q & A

The cardboard solution offered above works quite well. You can achieve much the same with some aluminium foil curved and placed around you existing antenna and pointing towards your remote location.

If you have the Netgear router it's easy to add an external antenna as the existing antenna screws out and leaves a 'netgear' socket. This is a connection supported by most WiFi antenna people but you have yo make it clear that's the one you want.

I have in the past used a +26db antenna which allowed me to connect to a WiFi point about 1/2 a mile away.

However remember that the 2.4GHz WiFi signal degrades very quickly in any antenna lead and a 6m lead on a +20bd antenna is almost the same as using your standard Netgear antenna.

I've tried making the Baked Beans can antenna. The problem is finding a can long enough without been too wide. Then you have to cut the 'active' receiver wire very accurately - I used a piece of PCB and cut a length of copper track as accurately as I could. But it's essentially free and I had a very pleasant day messing around with the project. In the end I bought a +26db off ebay for about 25 delivered (from Poland).

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      I've tried making the Baked Beans can antenna. The problem is finding a can long enough without been too wide.

Pringles pack is long and foil-lined. Has been used as directional antenna for wifi.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

or you could forget the wireless route and try something like THIS, i have a old house and cannot use wireless in the next room to the router, using these i can also turn the wireless off and be safe as houses

Thanks

As promised
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boosting wireless signal strength-img007.jpg   Boosting wireless signal strength-img008.jpg  

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi
      Thanks for that Dholdi.

Thats interesting. Still dunno how that can work but I'm going to give it a whirl sometime. I used to do a lot of antenna work when I was in the army. The power ratio of an antenna including the coax used to feed it is all down to how long the arial is in relation to the wavelength of the transmitted signal. There is a formula for it which includes lambda, lamda, however its spelt, but I can't remember it now. I do remember that a full wave antenna will transmit most of the signal whilst a half wave, quarter wave etc will correspondingly transmit less of the signal. The length of the antenna is inversely proportional to the frequency of the signal ie the lower the frequency the longer the antenna. I think thats right. Thats all a bit simplistic but thats roughly how it works I seem to remember.

Ah well time to go batten down the hatches in readiness for the big blow. Thanks again.

Thanks

Np - like I said I've not tried it but its a reputable mag and it was in the March issue not Aprils

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast