Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

A shot in the dark!

This is a discussion on A shot in the dark! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; As tester2 suggested, setting the router and card to g (or b) only might help the problem. n is compatible ...

DellCA is offline DELL CA
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: A shot in the dark!

As tester2 suggested, setting the router and card to g (or b) only might help the problem. n is compatible with g, but isn't exactly the same way of communicating (kind of like the differences between 28.8k modems and 56k modems). That difference can cause problems if the two devices are not using the same settings.

When 802.11g came out there were similar problems, where the card and router were supposed to work together but due to differences in implementation the connection would not work right. A few weeks after the g standard was finally released the vast majority of the problems were fixed by firmware and driver updates from just about everyone.

Trying the Intel ProSet software instead of the Wireless Zero Configuration as Isitme suggestions might fix the problem. From my experience, which one works better (the WZC or the card's utility) all depends on what card you are using and what router/access-point you are trying to connect to. I am not familiar with the router you have so I'm not sure if it will help in this case or not. It definitely won't hurt. The easy way to switch from WZC to using the Intel ProSet is, in the ProSet software, select the drop down menu item "Allow ProSet to control my connection" (the wording may be a little different, it has been a while since I've looked at it, and the notebook I have has the Dell Wireless card and not the Intel you have).

The only other thing I can think of that might be causing the connection to drop out like you describe is if the "802.11 Authentication" is enabled, but the router isn't using it to authenticate the connection. Back when g was new I saw that causing similar connection problems. I just checked my computer (Vista Enterprise) and did not see the option, so this may only be a possible problem on an XP system (in the wireless profile on the second tab, just after you would put in the encryption key). You would have to enable encryption, go to the second tab, uncheck "use 802.11 authentication" then go back and disable encryption in order to turn it off if you are not using encryption already. (If this is confusing just let me know and I'll dig up a better description.)

You can add another wireless router as you are suggesting, but it normally isn't worth the trouble of getting it set up and working the way you want. If you do set it up, make sure the original router and the new router don't use the same channel or they will interfere with each other (channels 1, 6 and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels). Also, you'll want to have a different SSID (aka Network Name) for the second router to avoid confusion as to which you are connecting to.

The only other troubleshooting step I can think of is to test the new notebook on a different wireless router to see whether it has problems or not.

NewsreadeR, we have a data provider that, basically, searches the internet for posts about Dell. For posts where someone is having a problem my team replies to offer any help we can.

Larry
      Dell Customer Advocate

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi Larry, thank you for the explanation!

NewsreadeR, we have a data provider that, basically, searches the internet for posts about Dell. For posts where someone is having a problem my team replies to offer any help we can.
      Maybe you could tell Sky about this data provider

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

xjrjason is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01883
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you v.much Mr Dell!

The over the phone help desk wasn't very erm helpfull.

I have now used the onboard software and found a whole load more settings to play with (powering stuff up and powering stuff down)

I'll go back and play at a later date to see what was actually causing the fun.

But now all is well, thanks again for all your help on this site.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think it is fairly obvious that WZC was causing the fault. Maybe MS have fixed it in Sp3

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DellCA is offline DELL CA
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xjrjason View Post
      Thank you v.much Mr Dell!

The over the phone help desk wasn't very erm helpfull.

I have now used the onboard software and found a whole load more settings to play with (powering stuff up and powering stuff down)

I'll go back and play at a later date to see what was actually causing the fun.

But now all is well, thanks again for all your help on this site.
      As Isitme says, it does look to have been a problem with the Wireless Zero Configuration. This is a good example of the "fun" a person can have getting wireless networking set up and working. I'm glad to hear you've gotten things working.

Larry
      Dell Customer advocate

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Larry - Thank you for your help and continuous checking of this thread. It is very much appreciated, and nice to see companies totally unrelated to our forum, getting involved and helping.

A credit to Dell and yourself.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Topkidben is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby - EMTHRNB
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Doesn't matter sorry for posting.
      Last edited by Topkidben; 13-04-08 at 10:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)

1. 21-04-08, 07:50 PM
    2. 18-04-08, 10:32 PM
    3. 18-04-08, 03:50 AM
    4. 18-04-08, 03:35 AM
    5. 18-04-08, 03:22 AM
    6. 17-04-08, 06:42 AM
    7. 17-04-08, 05:35 AM
    8. 16-04-08, 02:19 AM
    9. 15-04-08, 05:03 PM
    10. 15-04-08, 04:14 PM