Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A shot in the dark!

This is a discussion on A shot in the dark! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi and thanks for the pointers. I've made sure the auto108, (fast router setting) is in the normal mode. As ...

xjrjason is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01883
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: A shot in the dark!

Hi and thanks for the pointers.

I've made sure the auto108, (fast router setting) is in the normal mode. As it were.

Had a look through the manual, and removed the cover, checked the wireless mini card. (I looked fine, I unpugged it and plugged it back in again)

I did turn off the power save both on the ethernet card bit and the wireless card.

Unfortunatly still hopping in and out.

I'm using the wireless zero settings (allowing XP to control things)

The reason I think it's the router, rather than the laptop (Vostro 1700 with and I think this might also be the problem Intel® Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card )

It works fine wirelessly at my work place, and will connect and stay connected, to an unsucure network I can find at home.

I rang Sky and they weren't any help at all. Said if there was an update/upgrade to the firmware it would be done automatically.

Pooo!
      Last edited by xjrjason; 09-03-08 at 10:59 PM.

2. Advertisement
      tester2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re (new laptop with wireless 'n')..
      The sky routers are only wireless g, well b and g but you get the idea.
      Wireless n is the new wireless standard that I believe is almost out of draft and ready to be ratified.
      There are more and more newer routers on the market that utilise the "draft" n standard and obviously the same for wireless adaptors,built into laptops and other wise.
      My point is... use the configuration utility that came with the laptop and look for a setting to limit the laptop to wireless g mode.
      Because everything else wireless works fine this does suggest an issue with the wireless on the laptop in IMO.

HTH
      Last edited by tester2; 10-03-08 at 02:04 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not a bad point, tester 2

When I get home tonight, I'll fire up the software (as mentioned I'm using the XP software at the mo) and have a prod and poke!

I did try and do a bit of research into the wireless 'n' stuff, before clicking the 'I'll have one of those'

The wirless n, seems only to allow a faster rate of data transfer, and be more powerfull when looking for networks. It lists the networks it finds, and labels them b or g etc etc. My old PCMIA card in my old laptop only picked up two wireless networks at home. My Dell lappy picks up nine!

(I surprised I'm not medium-rare to well done yet)

Thinking laterally................

Terms and conditions doesn't allow me to use a different, wireless router.

Can't you connect a wireless network adaptor to a non-wireless router?

What would stop me from getting an all singing and dancing wireless network adaptor and plugging it in one of the ethernet ports on the Sky/Netgear wireless router. Effectivly creating two wireless networks from one router?

Anyone know?

Again thanks for all the imputs/suggestions, and hope fully when I get this sorted out anyone else with the same hicup, will find this thread useful.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK

I'm going to chance me arm on one of these..........Netgear WNR834B.

It's a 'RANGEMAX™ NEXT WIRELESS N ADSL 2+ MODEM ROUTER - DG834N' designed to be used with a non-wireless router.

Should be a giggle!

Idea being, keep the boggy Sky/Netgear wireless router (use that network on the non-n wireless stuff) plug into one of the ethernet ports and let the NETGEAR RangeMax NEXT 802.11n WNR834B Wireless Router do the laptop and anything else that I upgrade.

Hopefully some one out there may read this before I commit to a purchase.

All comments greatfully recieved! (good or bad)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here's the link, just in case/hopefully some one who knows what they're doing reads this thread.

RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless N ADSL 2+ Modem Router - DG834N

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having done some more reading.

This would appear to be a wireless router and not a wireless 'adaptor'

Which I think is what I want. Although I don't know.

This next bit is an edit

Ignore the last bit above.

This is the link, and it's a cable modem that has an ethernet imput (from a cable modem) that then turns every thing into a wireless network.

RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless Router - WNR834B
      Last edited by xjrjason; 10-03-08 at 02:39 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What you describe in your first post is a symptom of misbehaving WZC. It is supposed to search for the best signal and transfer to it seamlessly. This is a good idea in an office environment where several repeaters are used. In the home where you have only one wireless point that you want to connect to it is not so good. You don't want it trying to connect to a neighbour's network, finding it can't, then dropping the connection.

You can turn it off by going to the Services, scroll down to WZC, right click it to open the properties. Click the button to stop the service then use the drop down box to disable it. Reboot and configure the wireless adapters utility to manage the connection. Try this before splashing out on a router you may not need.

You should also set the wireless mode of the router to g & b as the Dell rep recommended, if you have not already done so.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you, I was always of the opinion that the WZC was the best route to go down.

But like I said, happy to prod poke and twiddle, but always learning.

I'll give it a go when I get in.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xjrjason View Post
      Can't you connect a wireless network adaptor to a non-wireless router?

What would stop me from getting an all singing and dancing wireless network adaptor and plugging it in one of the ethernet ports on the Sky/Netgear wireless router. Effectivly creating two wireless networks from one router?

Anyone know?
      Yes you can.

Nothing at all. No harm in that at all, so long as you realise that devices on the two wireless networks will have some trouble seeing eachother if they are Windows or Mac as the service broadcasts will not span the two discrete WLANs. There are ways across that if you are into WINS and LMHOSTS (not entirely sure what you'd do for Macs but Is suspect it can be done). But it can get a bit messy if you're not sure. So do it, but be aware that you will start a heavy learning curve into the intricacies of M$ networking

But reading this thread from the start all of my instincts scream out that it is something with your lappy seeing as you say that other 802.11g devices connect okay. It cannot be everything else is broked but your lappy is okay, that is illogical captain

For my money, I would take out WZC and use the WiFi adapters own config utility - you've already suggested that it is much more configurable than WZC. Try also limiting the card to 802.11g rather than the 'n standard.

You say the computer engages with your works WLAN okay and without problem. Do you know what wireless standard that is using? Is it 802.11n (which implies 'g and 'b compatibility)? If it is 802.11n and the lappy syncs up with that but not your home net then it [again] points to the computer given that other WiFi devices are attaching to your Sky router.

It is the constant drop-outs that bother me. For that to be happening it suggests that the laptop's wireless card is having trouble holding sync with the router and is restarting the connection continuously. If it were the router the fault would be repeating on all and any wirelessly attached device.

In the time I've worked with WiFi I have not seen anything quite like that you are experiencing. It does rather smell of a faulty adapter in the lappy to me. Is it safe to presume that you have other wireless computers attaching - if so maybe run a Stumbler to give your some info on the network, also try running Stumbler on the lappy giving you trouble, see if you can get any info about your WLAN on that - compare the results with the working computer and see if anything obviously different.

This is not going to be a terribly easy one to track down, a process of elimination is called for. My money's on the laptop.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK

It was the laptop.........

*shuffles feet and looks sheepish*

Fired up the onboard software for the laptop, turned off the WZC, and manualy went through turning things up (power settings) and turning stuff down (like 'aggresive network search/connection') (also turned the setting to b & g only, ignore a) I found a whole bunch of more adjustable settings in the onboard software. It's working now, but I'm sure I'll play again at some point just to pin point what was causing the fun!

I'm now using the wireless link to connect as I type. I guess it's sorted.

Thank you for all your support you guys.

I will check back in from time to time just to see if my experiences can help any where else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 21-04-08, 07:50 PM
    2. 18-04-08, 10:32 PM
    3. 18-04-08, 03:50 AM
    4. 18-04-08, 03:35 AM
    5. 18-04-08, 03:22 AM
    6. 17-04-08, 06:42 AM
    7. 17-04-08, 05:35 AM
    8. 16-04-08, 02:19 AM
    9. 15-04-08, 05:03 PM
    10. 15-04-08, 04:14 PM