Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why cant I connect wirelessly anymore?

This is a discussion on Why cant I connect wirelessly anymore? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I bought a new computer last week and I have been using it wirelessly since it arrived. I didnít think ...

ScarlettRed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why cant I connect wirelessly anymore?

I bought a new computer last week and I have been using it wirelessly since it arrived. I didnít think Iíd have any trouble since itís brand new and it found the signal from my sky wireless network (that I used on my previous computer) straightaway but Iíve now developed problems.

Everytime I try to connect wirelessly now, and hover over the wireless icon it says things like Ďunidentified networkí and Ďaccess: local onlyí. Then when I try to go to a website, even skyís website, I get either an error saying ďexplorer cannot display the pageĒ, ďaddress not validĒ, or it goes straight to Google to search for the website, or it just generally doesnít load at all and the green progress bar gets stuck at about only half way across.

I have rang sky 3 times already tonight and nothing has worked. I am about to tear my hair out. I have tried plugging the yellow Ethernet cable in and when thatís connected everything works fine and thatís how I am posting this message now. It just seems that the problem is wireless but I donít know why. Itís only something that has been happening today, itís been fine since I bought it last week. This new computer is a Vista and it has a built in wireless adapter.

The strange thing is, my previous computer that I do still have was an XP and had a very similar problem. Thatís part of the reason I bought a new computer. On the old XP computer, despite the fact it was set to connect automatically to sky (wirelessly) it never did. Iíd usually have to wait 5-10 minutes or try numerous time to keep connecting. So, this is making me wonder if the problem lies with the actual sky router? And is not the fault of the new computer.

As you can probably tell, my knowledge of computers is very limited! So if anyone could help shed some light on this, I would be so grateful. I donít seem to have got anywhere with sky despite being on the phone for about an hour and half altogether.

If thereís any details or system specs you need to know, please point me in the right direction of where I can find them. Iím not used to Vista at all but Iíd love to get this fixed. Iíve had to move the computer half way across the room just to plug the Ethernet cable in and finally get online.

Sorry for the long post.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Why cant I connect wirelessly anymore?

So many possible causes. As the problem existed on your previous XP computer as well as your new Vista computer I'd begin by looking at your Wireless Adaptors connection to the Router and I'd first of all change the WiFi Channel (it's probably set in the Router at Ch 6). Do that by entering 192.168.0.1 in your browser (with the LAN cable connected) and find the Wireless section of the Router set up. Change the Channel to 1 and SAVE then Log Off the router, remove the LAN cable and try the WiFi again. Then try to reconnect with your computers WiFi Manager.

Thanks

I should have added that if Ch 1 isn't any better try Ch 10. Then try Ch 2,3,4 etc.

I very occassionally have a problem like yours when I first turn on my computer and router (I turn the whole lot off each night). It seems that if the computer manages to boot up and look for the Network before the Router has booted and the Internet connection is active then my Vista, XP and W98 powered machines all connect to 'another network'. I solve this by turning the router on 30 seconds before booting the laptops. But thats with LAN connections, I don't use WiFi.

ScarlettRed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying. I tried what you suggested and its now working wirelessly and connecting automatically!

When I first looked at what channel it was on, it was already on ch1, so I then changed it to channel 10 and itís been working normally ever since. Plus, once Iíd got this vista machine working wirelessly again, I tried my old XP one and it was actually connected straightaway whereas normally Iíd have to try and connect quite a few times. I didnít realise altering the channel would make such a difference!

Also, I know what you mean about the router. I also switch everything off when Iím finished with it and Iíve since realised that if I donít plug the router on a minute or so before the computer then it has trouble connecting so I always make sure I switch the router on and wait for the green lights before switching the computer on.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks

It's possible some other WiFi source was interfering. It doesn't have to be another WiFi Router it could be a DECT cordless phone or a microwave oven! Changing the channel helps you find an slot in the frequency where the interference is least problematic.

kitejumper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWMLZ
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had a similar problem, I could not get my wifi to work. I bangedf my head and then went back to basics by reinstalling my wifi dongle drivers. It did the trick. Hope it helps
      KJ