Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I turn wireless off?

This is a discussion on Can I turn wireless off? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm a Mac user and am about to move from Tiscali to UKOnline LLU , but have decided to go ...

bradhughes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01633
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I turn wireless off?

I'm a Mac user and am about to move from Tiscali to UKOnline LLU, but have decided to go for Sky Max instead, and save myself some money.

This means I can't use my Linksys router which I'm familiar with.

When I try to sign-up via the SKY website, it says that a wireless PC *is* required, and that a wireless adaptor can be purchased at extra cost.

Is this just a standard clause? As I understand it, I could end up with either a Netgear V1/V2 or Sagem router? Do these have any ethernet ports (ideally 4), or are they wireless only?

Now, assuming they *do* have ethernet ports, my next question is quite a strange one. Is it possible to turn off the wireless feature? Currently I have the Linksys configured so that wireless is disabled (for health reasons).

Thanks everyone.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Can I turn wireless off?

Yes you can turn off the wireless feature, and yes the routers do have ethernet ports