Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sorry - new with connection issues

This is a discussion on sorry - new with connection issues within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi i have recently connected to sky broadband and have had no end of problems trying to get connected. I ...

eeejay4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry - new with connection issues

hi
      i have recently connected to sky broadband and have had no end of problems trying to get connected. I have spent 2 hours on the phone with sky - i kid you not - desperately trying to get connected, in all fairness the poor guy on the end of the phone was fab and tried everything he could - he went through what i have now discovered is your tutorial with wep and wap, to no avail, he has said hell ask around this eve and try and find out whats going on.

my laptop always worked fine with the bt router, never a problem, it can find the router but when i try and connect it says its out of range and i dont know why? Can anyone help?

thanks so much
      emma

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sorry - new with connection issues

Quote Originally Posted by eeejay4 View Post
      it can find the router but when i try and connect it says its out of range and i dont know why? Can anyone help?

thanks so much
      emma
      Perhaps it is out of range. Test within same room. If that helps try raising the router above furniture level and see if the signal is better in original location.

If no joy at all, try changing channels (see Sky CD help files or tutorials on this site for how to address the router's user interface) especially if you detect neighbouring wifi.

Check antenna is secure.

eeejay4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi
      we have tried changing channels, turning off the house phone, raising the router, all the lights are on ie the connection is strong and consistent, we have been trying it in the same room next to the router. It works with the ethernet cable in. The wireless shows the signal at 5 bars, we have an older type laptop a toshiba satelitte, but it worked ok with bt. We just cant work it out.

thanks
      emma

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried turning off the security in the router altogether, ie tick Disable above the WEP WPA security settings? If your laptop is fairly old it may not support WPA which is the router default.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PFC
      PFC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you tried turning off the security in the router altogether, ie tick Disable above the WEP WPA security settings? If your laptop is fairly old it may not support WPA which is the router default.
      I have just joined Sky broadband and have to confess that i have also had problems connection to the Netgear DG934G router wirelessly, (with a brand new laptop). I have also noticed that the router also kicks you off the net every so oftern - very annoying.
      Spoke to Sky, they suggested all manor of things, then when I told them I wanted to use my own router, they claimed they could not give me the necessary source code and pw, although they knew what i was talking about.
      At present Sky have not offered me an alterntaive router, (they currently only have one on the market), and really don't like the idea of customers using their own. Do you know if there is a way round this?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look in this section for the information you want. Remember it is against the T & Cs to use a router you were not issued with.
      Technical help - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.