Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dell Laptop cannot detect Sky Router

This is a discussion on Dell Laptop cannot detect Sky Router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Yesterday my Dell laptop stopped being able to connect to my Sky router. It was working fine then without ...

tallsmall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01553
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dell Laptop cannot detect Sky Router

Hi

Yesterday my Dell laptop stopped being able to connect to my Sky router. It was working fine then without any warnings lost net connection. When I use the wireless utility to scan for networks the Sky router is not in the list, but it can detect other (neighbours) secure networks. I've made sure that the wireless card has been enabled/switched on/has latest drivers etc.
      My PSP can still find and connect to the sky router without any problems. If I use a USB wireless dongle it can connect to the router as well.

Don't quite know what to do? Is it the internal wireless card thats gone wrong (but it can still find other networks) or has my Sky router some hidden itself from my Laptop?

Help!

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dell Laptop cannot detect Sky Router

Connect to the router via ethernet cable. then log in to its page (192.168.0.1 /admin/sky) then see if there is anything out of the ordinary in the wireless page.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Check if your adapter has received an automatic update from MS. If it has, roll back to the previous driver. If it hasn't, try going to the Device Manager and uninstalling the wireless adapter. Reboot and reinstall it using the latest drivers from Dell.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Connected through ethernet and it all seems fine, wireless is enabled.

Have tried the uninstall of the drivers with a reboot and again the problem still persists.

Have turned off all firewalls and security software in case they were causing the problem but still no Sky network detected.

As I type, I have kept refreshing the scan networks utiliy and it has momentarily seen the Sky router but not long enough to connect.

Got a feeling the wireless card is faulty.

Thanks

If you have a friend with a wireless laptop, invite them to try to connect to your router. It could be the router that has failed. You could also try to borrow a USB adapter, fit it to your laptop and see if that connects.

Also try resetting the router, push a biro into the little hole at the back and hold it there until the tick flashes, usually about 10 secs. Remember this will reset the SSID to default.

I know Sky will not support wireless connections unless you are using their kit, but if you can prove the wireless router is faulty, they should replace it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have tried resetting the router, but again cannot see it.

I'm currrently using a wireless usb dongle to connect to the Sky router and that connects fine its just the internal Dell one which cannot.

Great suggestions so far, really appreciate them.

Thanks

I'm afraid it looks like a compatibility problem with your wireless card and the Sky router, that is if the card has not gone 'belly up'. If it worked OK before, then the latter is most likely. If it has, I am a bit puzzled as to how it can detect other networks but not yours. I am sorry I have not been of much help, maybe someone else has more ideas.

TomD

Useful Utilites

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Strange that it was working and that it still sees other networks! This is a long shot but try clearing all temporary files in case there is something in there blocking the card.

Start - Run - %temp% then select and delete all files displayed (Send to Recycle bin just in case!). If any are reported as being in use, then leave them and delete the rest.

Then reboot the laptop and try again. Ths procedure has been known to cure a multitude of Windows problems over the years...!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still no joy

I've just tried using winsockxp.exe in case there was some sort of curruption going on, but that didn't work either.

Official Dell 1370 PCI wireless is 50 on the Dell site. Is that expensive for a wireless card or are there cheaper compatible versions? (Just have a gut feeling that it is the wireless card that has gone belly up)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

get powerline networking gear and use that as opposed to wireless - faster and more secure...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast