Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wireless problems

This is a discussion on Wireless problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok i'm having a problem finding my wireless card? Gone into networks and nothing seems to be there an icon ...

matrixsc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGLNFI
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless problems

Ok i'm having a problem finding my wireless card?

Gone into networks and nothing seems to be there an icon that representing wireless?

I've switched it on using the side buttons too.

I've tried to add a wireless device to network but it says no wireless devices were found?

Any ideas please? I'm on vista which is coming off soon as i can't stand it!
      Got a Dell XPS M1530 laptop Intel wireless wifi link 4965AGN

Right clicking my computer >Device manger newtword adapters it's listed there?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless problems

Have you?
      Went to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre, click Set up a connection in the Left pane, Select Connect to the Internet, Set up a wireless connection.

Click Manage Network in the Left pane to check that your adapters are being found, you should have two 1 wireless and one ethernet.

EDIT - I have just noticed your other post, make absolutely sure you can get drivers before you switch to XP.
      Last edited by Isitme; 22-02-08 at 06:47 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you?
      Went to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre, click Set up a connection in the Left pane, Select Connect to the Internet, Set up a wireless connection.

Click Manage Network in the Left pane to check that your adapters are being found, you should have two 1 wireless and one ethernet.

EDIT - I have just noticed your other post, make absolutely sure you can get drivers before you switch to XP.
      Ok it's found the router but when i connect is says it can not connect
      as windows did not receive any reponse from the wireless router or access points

The name appears there and i have it unsecure atm just to test.

Whats that all about?

I've not put xp on yet still got vista
      Last edited by matrixsc; 22-02-08 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks

Maybe a bit basic, but have you checked that the wireless on the router is enabled and broadcasting it's SSID? You will obviously have to do this with ethernet. You have been able to connect with ethernet?

Do you know anyone with a wireless laptop who could check your router? There is a chance that the wireless is faulty. A check with another PC could confirm if it is or is not working.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok on vista i did get wireless working at last though i have a new problem now :-

I am having a problem with my new M1530 with the Intel 4965 wireless card connecting to the internet through my 802.11g router . It can see the network and says its connected locally and to the internet but when I open IE it doesn't connect. Then it connects but then seems lose the connection and reconnects and lets me surf again then i lose it again?

If i have it set to G mode only or Auto it seems i only get 5.5mb it just seems to keep losing connection? Speeds goes from 54mbps down to 5.5 or even 2?
      Last edited by matrixsc; 23-02-08 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

Have you been to Dell to check for new drivers? Even with a new laptop, there may be updates available. I think part of the problem may be that your adapter is a Wireless N and it is having compatibility problems with the Wireless G router. Although these things are supposed to be backward compatible, this is not always the case.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you been to Dell to check for new drivers? Even with a new laptop, there may be updates available. I think part of the problem may be that your adapter is a Wireless N and it is having compatibility problems with the Wireless G router. Although these things are supposed to be backward compatible, this is not always the case.
      Yeah far as i know i have latest drivers and everything.

Worse case can you add a new wireless router to the laptop if need be?

It keeps going up and down the speed from 54mbps it drops to just 2mbps

Really getting frustrated here!

Thanks

You can get a plug in USB adapter for the laptop, but I would not go there yet.

Now that you are actually connecting to the router, you can experiment with changing the channels on the router. It could be you are experiencing interference from another source. Start at 1 and work your way up to 13, or vice versa if you like, until you find the best reception.

It may pay you to download Netstumbler it is a good little tool which can help quite a lot with network connections. You would have to try it to see if your card is supported.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You can get a plug in USB adapter for the laptop, but I would not go there yet.

Now that you are actually connecting to the router, you can experiment with changing the channels on the router. It could be you are experiencing interference from another source. Start at 1 and work your way up to 13, or vice versa if you like, until you find the best reception.

It may pay you to download Netstumbler it is a good little tool which can help quite a lot with network connections. You would have to try it to see if your card is supported.
      Ok i will give that ago then thank you.

Is it best to have it on G only or G&B ?
      Last edited by matrixsc; 23-02-08 at 03:03 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tried all the channels still the same a couple wouldn't even work .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast