Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wireless problems

This is a discussion on Wireless problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi i have dell m1530 and have the same wireless disconnection problem. sometimes my wireless connections disconnects with no reason ...

curset is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems

hi i have dell m1530 and have the same wireless disconnection problem.

sometimes my wireless connections disconnects with no reason and connects back in a few seconds. i have another notebook (pb mx67) i never had that problem with it. also sometimes my computer freezes for 2-3 seconds and after that although i see the wireless connection in tray bar i cant use internet and in my network connections i saw the wireless card disabled and cant be enabled... so i have to restart the computer 2-3 times..

i have XP sp3,
      wireless card driver: interl Pro/wireless 3945ABG network connection

anyone knows a solituon? i bought it 1 day ago and this problem makes me really upset..

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is possibly a problem with WZC. This basically is meant to constantly search for the best signal and lock on to it. Unfortuneately, if you have a near neighbour with a wireless router it could pick that up instead of your own, be unable to connect and just drop. There is a couple of things you can try, first try changing the channel on the router, see if this helps. If it still disconnects, try disabling WZC and connect using the adapter's software.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

"first try changing the channel on the router"

how will i do that? and what will i select ? (= i dont have much information about wireless :S

Thanks

Go into the router settings by clicking Here put admin in for the username and sky for the password. Click the Wireless settings link on the left then use the dropdown box to change the Mode to 'g' only (I am assuming you have a wireless G adapter) You can now use the dropdown box opposite Channel to change the channel. I would start at #13 and work your way down. Give it a few minutes in each position to settle. It will not change like changing the channel on your TV.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

opss.. sorry i have a usr 9106 modem

Thanks

Have a look here-
      USRobotics Support: faqs/networking/no_wireless_connection.html

The only thing to note is that in UK you can use channels 12 and 13, which the Yanks don't seem to know. In the USA these are reserved channels

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

so can i see which channel is using by my neighbours? so i can choose different.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is possibly a problem with WZC. This basically is meant to constantly search for the best signal and lock on to it. Unfortuneately, if you have a near neighbour with a wireless router it could pick that up instead of your own, be unable to connect and just drop. There is a couple of things you can try, first try changing the channel on the router, see if this helps. If it still disconnects, try disabling WZC and connect using the adapter's software.
      WZC doesnt automatically connect you to an access point unless you have already created a profile for it and selected automatic connection. However
      there is a setting within the wireless adapter itself which allows you to alter the speed at which it scans and if it should hold on to a connection (thus scanning less vigorously) or if it should constantly look for connections and better at that (this means it will only make a half hearted connection and is easier to lose the signal).

Depending on the make of the wireless adapter, depends on what the name of the setting is called. But to access it you need to go to the adapter, right click and select properties and then next to the adapter name click on configure and select the advanced tab.

Thats my 2p worth.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Thanks

Download Netstumber This will show any nearby networks that may be interfering.
      Last edited by Isitme; 14-09-08 at 03:50 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

well i found a setting called like "force scanning" it says if signal is getting lower search for another modem or smthng like that. i think we meaned that one ? it i turned it of cause my modem is only 1.5 meter away from my laptop (=

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast