Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wireless problems

This is a discussion on Wireless problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok i've done a fresh install and reinstalled everything. I've installed a new driver someone suggested on another forum and ...

matrixsc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGLNFI
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems

Ok i've done a fresh install and reinstalled everything. I've installed a new driver someone suggested on another forum and things seem better though i'm still getting radom cut offs but it seems to reconnect right away.

Any more ideas to try and fix this?

Is it a case of trying all the channels again?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try it on G only, you don't have an old B adapter so it should not be required. You might also try changing the channels again, if you have up dated the adapter driver it may have some effect. You should also try it on Auto again.

Did you manage to use Netstumbler?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have just tried my laptop at a mates house who is using a bthome hub and i connected straight away with no problems and no drop outs.the prob must be my netgear router at home.does anyone have any suggestions what i can try next...firmware maybe???

I have the 802.11g router netgear.

At a lost now!!!
      Last edited by matrixsc; 24-02-08 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

It certainly looks like your router may be faulty. Just as an extra check does your mate have a laptop he could try connecting to your router? If he can't, connect this would confirm that the router is faulty and would give you more ammo when you phone Sky for a replacement. I would not even consider trying to flash the router, this could fail and leave you completely stuck.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It certainly looks like your router may be faulty. Just as an extra check does your mate have a laptop he could try connecting to your router? If he can't, connect this would confirm that the router is faulty and would give you more ammo when you phone Sky for a replacement. I would not even consider trying to flash the router, this could fail and leave you completely stuck.
      Jsu tried it on mine and his is struggling just like mine!

Who do i ring up ? And what do i say .

And will they replace or will they be a**es about it?

Is it worth trying it at factory settings ( the router?)

Thanks for all your help so far.

Thanks

You could try a reset and also a full power recycle, ie unplug the router, leave it off for a few minutes then turn it on again.

You would have to phone the normal Sky help number and hope you will get someone to listen to your problem. They will no doubt make you jump through hoops performing unnecessary tests, but you have to grin and bear it. Eventually you will get someone to listen. I will repeat what I have posted in another thread
      I know Sky will not support wireless connections unless you are using their kit, but if you can prove the wireless router is faulty, they should replace it.

Good luck!!

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've switched the phones off which we had 3 cordless phones in the house and the base unit was like 2Ft away from the router in the dinning room. And I have connected at 54/150 Mbps so maybe that was an issue?

Some web pages are still a bit slow but i've heard thats sky's DNS.

Also switched the WII off as well. I'll leave it on downloading and surfing for abit while we eat dinner.

I can't switch off over from N card to G card settings in the driver and this has happened on all the drivers i've tried which seems wired to me.

On a side note i have no idea how you change DNS set up in the router to use open DNS as i always find skys very slow.
      Last edited by matrixsc; 24-02-08 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks

I'm glad you seem to have got to the bottom of it

Changing the channel on the phones may help, I know you can do this on some types.

You will find full details on Open DNS at OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I'm glad you seem to have got to the bottom of it

Changing the channel on the phones may help, I know you can do this on some types.

You will find full details on Open DNS at OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet

How come on the Netgear DG834G i can't seem to find anywhere to type in my new DNS?

Or have i missed something?

Thanks.

Thanks

No you have not missed anything, the Sky firmware makes it difficult to change the DNS in the router. The only way you can do it is with a Telnet command. If you only have one pc, just do it by setting it up in the LAN properties, instructions are on the OpenDNS site.

If you have more than 1 PC or you want to have it available for visitors etc. then use this, -
      1. Start the telnet daemon using the Mognuts utility page
      2. Telnet to the router by doing Start->Run then typing telnet 192.168.0.1
      3. Type the following commands
        • nvram set wan_dns1=208.67.222.222
        • nvram set wan_dns2=208.67.220.220
        • nvram set wan_fix_dns=1
      4. Reboot the router
      James67

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast