Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless networking Hell!! Can somebody help?

This is a discussion on Wireless networking Hell!! Can somebody help? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I would appreciate any help from the technical gurus on the forums. I bought a laptop of Ebay for my ...

happeemonkee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless networking Hell!! Can somebody help?

I would appreciate any help from the technical gurus on the forums. I bought a laptop of Ebay for my young niece (Compaq Evo N600c running Windows XP SP) I have an old Netgear wireless USB adaptor that I was going to give to her too. I have tried setting it up at my home first and I am getting nowhere.

The adaptor is working fine on another laptop so I know it's not that. I have taken off encryption on my Sky router too. The Sky router is showing as available in the Wireless network connection box but if I select it and click connect, nothing happens. The pop up box just reappears saying wireless networks available. I have tried everything including using the latest driver for the Netgear MA101 adaptor but i cannot connect. When I plug it in using the ethernet, It connects fine first but the internet connection drops after a couple of minutes and I have to unplug it and plug in again.

I took the laptop to my cousins last night (she is on Virgin cable broadband) and it connected wirelessly straight away. No problem at all. Got back home and I still can't connect to my Sky router. (It is a Netgear one by the way) Is there any advice any body could give me? It really is driving me crazy.

Just to add, my own Dell laptop can connect fine to my sky router, it's just this Compaq Evo.

Any thoughts guys?
      Tony

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless networking Hell!! Can somebody help?

We have had a couple of PCs that refused to connect when encryption fully off, what happens if you drop the router encryption to WEP, put 0000 in the key gen box and hit generate, apply key 1 and then give that to the laptop as the network key?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      We have had a couple of PCs that refused to connect when encryption fully off, what happens if you drop the router encryption to WEP, put 0000 in the key gen box and hit generate, apply key 1 and then give that to the laptop as the network key?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Tried your suggestion but no change I'm afraid.

Really Peeed off.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happeemonkee View Post
      Any thoughts guys?
      Tony
      What is the IP address of the new laptop when you try to connect to the Sky router? You can obtain this by the following sequence:- Start - Run - "cmd" - OK - "ipconfig" - <Enter>. The values in "" are typed.

The IP Address attached to the wireless adaptor should be in the range 192.168.0.x

If it had been set to 192.168.1.x or something else which was compatible with your cousin's network it would explain the problem. It needs to be set to "obtain IP address automatically".

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      What is the IP address of the new laptop when you try to connect to the Sky router? You can obtain this by the following sequence:- Start - Run - "cmd" - OK - "ipconfig" - <Enter>. The values in "" are typed.

".
      Hi, when I try that is says Media disconnected. I did check the adaptor and it is set to obtain an ip address atomatically. By the way, I am trying to connect wirelessly.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you have the white Netgear/Sky router you have a problem.

The Netgear MA101 is an 802.11b adapter and while it works with most routers it requires 11b-only setting in modern Netgear routers -- the Sky firmware in the white Netgear/Sky router supports 11g&b but not 11b-only.

Choice of reflashing the white Sky router to the retail version of the Netgear DG384GT firmware or replacing the MA101 -- the latter is safer and simpler.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      If you have the white Netgear/Sky router you have a problem.

The Netgear MA101 is an 802.11b adapter and while it works with most routers it requires 11b-only setting in modern Netgear routers -- the Sky firmware in the white Netgear/Sky router supports 11g&b but not 11b-only.

Choice of reflashing the white Sky router to the retail version of the Netgear DG384GT firmware or replacing the MA101 -- the latter is safer and simpler.
      Thanks for that. I have ordered a PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop so I hope this will solve the problem. What is strange though is that I have a very old Pentium 2 Omnibook and that connects fine to the netgear router using the MA101.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happeemonkee View Post
      What is strange though is that I have a very old Pentium 2 Omnibook and that connects fine to the netgear router using the MA101.
      That is strange and confusing! I can only say that my advice was based on personal experience of the MA101 and advice from Netgear's user forum.

Anyway, a modern PCMCIA device is a faster and more reliable choice.