Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Major connectivity issue

This is a discussion on Major connectivity issue within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello All, I am having MAJOR problems with connecting to my Sky Broadband. Let me explain the scenario. WIth the ...

caloomba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Major connectivity issue

Hello All,

I am having MAJOR problems with connecting to my Sky Broadband.

Let me explain the scenario.

WIth the PC I am using, I used to be connected to Orange Broadband (Livebox) at an old address. Never really had problems, connected both wired and wirelessly (using Belkin adaptoer)

When I moved, my flatmate and I decided to get Sky TV so I thought I would just get Sky Broadband thrwon in too.

So, the router (black one) arrives and due to the layout of my flat, I have no choice but to connect wirelessly.

I am SOMETIMES able to connect to the router, but it drops often, often I have to reinstall the adapter software.

Anyway, I contact Sky tech support and they are next to useless. They suggest it is a problem with the Belkin adapter and that they will not give me tech support for an adapter unless it is the Netgear WG111T. So, I purchase a Netgear ada[pter but because I didn't purchase it from Sky, they refuse to give me support!!!! I can't get the Netgear adapter to even find a connection, so it is just a useless bit pf plastic now!!!

So, I continue to have a rubbish connection with the Belkin adapter.

I continually call tech support int he hope that I may get to speak to someone who understands my strong regional accent and eventually a manager suggests it may be the router that is the problem.

A new router (white) arrives. The problem is not solved iwht the new router.

My flatmate suggests that it may be my Anti-Virus ssoftware etc that is the problem. I uninstall McAfee Security Suite but I don't want to connect without firewall/AV softaware so I reinstall AVG free and Ad-Aware 2007, and use Windows Firewall. The problem persists with the free software too.

I am tearing my hair out now!!! Poor connection aside, the Customer Service from Sky has been nothing short of abysmal. My parents were considering getting a Sky package as they have recent;y moved house too, but now I have told them to steer clear as a result of the problems I have experienced.

Coukld someone on here please, please cherry on top, please help

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Major connectivity issue

moved to wireless

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      moved to wireless

oops cheers for moving it to the right place

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

no probs, hope someone can help

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

First of all, connect by disabling your firewall, antivirus and spyware. For the short time that it will be off, hackers will not notice. Secondly, how is your USB adapter plugged in? Is it through a USB extension hub or through the actual computer? Thridly, have you tried turning the UPNP on the router off?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by espio View Post
      First of all, connect by disabling your firewall, antivirus and spyware. For the short time that it will be off, hackers will not notice. Secondly, how is your USB adapter plugged in? Is it through a USB extension hub or through the actual computer? Thridly, have you tried turning the UPNP on the router off?
      connected with no protection and it still dropped

USB adapter plugged into actual computer, i have no hubs

I don't know what UPNP is How do I turn it off?

Thanks

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In the router settings page, if you are having issues with connectivity after UPNP then try changing channels on the router (again in the router settings page @ 192.168.0.1). You will need a connection to the router for this so moving the router to the pc temporarily while setting up the wireless is going to be a necessity. Have you anything like a cordless phone base etc near the router that may be impacting the wireless as the black router is better than the white to be honest.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      In the router settings page, if you are having issues with connectivity after UPNP then try changing channels on the router (again in the router settings page @ 192.168.0.1). You will need a connection to the router for this so moving the router to the pc temporarily while setting up the wireless is going to be a necessity. Have you anything like a cordless phone base etc near the router that may be impacting the wireless as the black router is better than the white to be honest.
      thanks, have switched off UPNP, will let you know how i get on