Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help please ??

This is a discussion on Help please ?? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have just had "SKY broadband base" installed. I am obtaining a measly 10 - 15 kb/sec for this ...

jrs101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help please ??

Hi,

I have just had "SKY broadband base" installed.

I am obtaining a measly 10 - 15 kb/sec for this service. Surely this cannot be normal? Its the new sagem v2 router.

Prior to this I had a standard netgear dg834 router and obtained 120 - 130 kb/sec transfer rate through another isp.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help please ??

As you've posted this in the wireless forum I assume you believe this to be a wireless issue? [EDIT: I see you've posted a duplicate in another forum. Just one thread per issue please].

A poor wireless quality signal is the number one reason for slow throughput in relation to your sync. Again, you've given little information but one would assume your router sync is somewhat higher than the speeds you are seeing.

First off run a comparison test with a wired connection. That will confirm whether it is a wireless issue or not. If it is then all you can do is experiment with different router positions (e.g. get it off the floor and away from other electrical interference) and different wireless channels. Of course wired is going to be a better solution.

I can't imagine you were happy with the "120 - 130 kb/sec transfer rate through another isp". Broadband is supposed to be fast. Have a read through the forum for tips on improving wireless performance, alternatives to wireless, improving your wiring and optimising your PC set up. The first two stickies in my signature might be a good place to start.
      Last edited by Saturday; 11-02-08 at 12:55 PM.

jrs101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

No i do not assume it to be a wireless issue. Prior to installation the wireless signal was about 80% which it is now too.

I have gone through the tweaks router address etc but with no luck. I have run optimizers etc etc but still cannot get above 10/15 kb/sec ??

The 120/130 kb/sec through the previous service (virgin) was ok for my needs but of course this i now not.

Any more ideas?

thanks
      Last edited by Saturday; 11-02-08 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrs101 View Post
      Any more ideas?
      No - just the ones I've already given but you obviously haven't read

TRY A WIRED CONNECTION to confirm/eliminate that it is a wireless issue. Any clearer?

I also suggested how you might improve the signal quality. I also asked about your router sync and suggested you read two stickies (if I carry on all I'm going to do is repeat the whole post again which would be pretty irritating).

To recap, a poor quality wireless signal is probably the issue. Note that quality is not the same as strength. Your wireless device may well be indicating 80% strength but if the quality is poor all that says is that it's a "loud" rubbish signal.
      Last edited by Saturday; 11-02-08 at 02:35 PM.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

why not post us your stats too