Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless disconnects every 10 mins. Arrrgh!

This is a discussion on Wireless disconnects every 10 mins. Arrrgh! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I appreciate that there is lots of info around this subject but Iíve not been able to find the ...

kolab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless disconnects every 10 mins. Arrrgh!

Hi, I appreciate that there is lots of info around this subject but Iíve not been able to find the answer I need (may be due to my lack of tech know-how, so apologies if the answer is out there).

Installed Sky Broadband on Monday as replacement for previous Tiscali service, which had been ok, but used to get quite slow during peak periods. This service worked wirelessly with no problems through a Netgear router.

Having installed and setup the initial reaction was positive as the speeds were slightly faster 54Mbps rather than Tiscaliís best of 48Mbps, but the joy was shortlived. After a few minutes the speed would drop to 24Mbps, then to 1Mbps (the reason I changed ISP). But instead of eventually regaining speed, the wireless connection would be lost and I would have to connect again. This has happened everytime on my laptop (our main PC) all week, with connection lasting no more than 10 minutes without needing to reconnect, sometimes having to retype the WPA key also.

Anyway, my Xbox 360 came back this week and I connected this wirelessly to the Sky router and everything has been sweet Ė fast downloads and no disconnections. Strange?

Also I have a work laptop which again doesnít suffer from disconnections when wirelessly connected to the sky router. It does however have periods when it is very very slow, but it never actually disconnects.

Both laptops use XP. My main laptop is the only one that I installed the Sky software (CD Rom that came with the router etc).

Any advice would be gratefully received but please use simple English as I am tech-stupid.

Thanks.

G

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless disconnects every 10 mins. Arrrgh!

Have you tried a different wireless channel or experimented with the position of the router ?

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

the best channels are 1,6 and 11

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

as they do not overlap each other

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll search around the forum for info on how do do this and let you know if I have any luck.

G

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have changed channels as suggested and also removed the hands-free phone from the room where the router is...no joy.

The socket to which the router is connected also has the phone line for the sky TV box. I have the broadband splitter first with the sky tv splitter going into that. Hope that makes sense. Do you think this might be the problem?

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

G

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've also just found that the laptop connects (and stays connected!) fine to the router if I am in the same room as the router. I usually use the laptop in an upstairs study (no more that 15 feet away from the router in a straight line), so why would it stay connected for an hour if close but disconnect every 10 mins if a bit further away?

Thanks

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If having gone through the change channels/ move router/ route, you still have problems with your wireless connection, the time has come to to use other methods to connect, network cable or mains network device spring to mind.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I appreciate what you are saying but I subscribed to sky expecting it to work in the same way as my previous router did. Silly me? Or crappy sky router? Still not quite sure.

antwigan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WRLFC
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Wireless disconnects every 10 mins. Arrrgh!

I have been on BB max for over a year and I have recently gone wireless. I have also set up sky BB for a few other people so I am fairly confident in the set up procedure. So here we go. I have a Sagem f@st router that connects to my laptop using a Netgear WN511B card. The router is plugged into the socket using a short cable (no extension) via a sky provided filter. My signal is between 90%-100% and the laptop is usually in the same room as the router. I use both windows wireless config and Netgear smart wizard alike. But my connection is constantly being lossed. I go to Ipconfig and it informs me that 'media is disconnected'. What I need to do then is eject the wireless card and as the laptop is trying to find new address I type 'ipconfig /release and then 'ipconfig /renew' this sometimes works.

I have 2 netgear routers from sky (1 flashed with netgear f/ware and one skys firmware) and now they have sent me this sagem router as I told them I bricked my last router. However the prob exists for all the routers. I have also tried different drivers for the Netgear card from their website.

I have the router nowhere near any foreign objects. I have used winsockfix which seemed to do the trick for a while using the netgear (non sky f/w) router. I have also used tcp optimizer on a previous installation of windows and that failed to work either.

Should I change the MTU to 1492 instead of 1500? Should i manually set the ip, subnet etc? What to? There are a number of other sky BB connections in my street that I can see. I have tried different channels and no joy. We all use different ssid names too. I also use WPA-PSK (TKIP) security. WEP and no security gave me the same results. The problem is very intermittent as sometimes it can disconect once in an hour and other times 3 times in 10 mins. I have a sneaky feeling the problem heightens when I am downloading large amounts at fast rates, but don't hold me to this.

Here is my router log:

Feb 20 15:12:04 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=217.42.189.89 DST=90.195.125.38 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=22297 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=2330 DPT=135 WINDOW=64240 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Feb 20 15:39:27 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=88.196.105.94 DST=90.195.125.38 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=119 ID=62999 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1077 DPT=135 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Feb 20 15:39:30 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=88.196.105.94 DST=90.195.125.38 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=119 ID=63229 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1077 DPT=135 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Any help would be appreciated.
      Ant
      Last edited by antwigan; 20-02-08 at 04:49 PM.

They'll never change us. God help those who try.

Rugby League, never Rugby Union. Fight the Bigots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast