Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New router/modem?

This is a discussion on New router/modem? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm fed up with my wireless problems and and was wondering if it was possible to buy a new Linksys ...

benbot80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01494
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New router/modem?

I'm fed up with my wireless problems and and was wondering if it was possible to buy a new Linksys 102.11n broadband router to replace the rubbish SKY one. I just wanted to make sure it would work before I went out and bought one.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: New router/modem?

Under Sky's terms and conditions you have to use their router. In any case, despite some people's belief that one wireless router is far, far better than another, what I have tended to find is that most wireless problems are more easily solved by doing things such as moving the router, changing wireless channel, changing the orientation of the aerial, and things like that, rather than changing router.

For example, the difference in performance with different channels in my house is huge. Some channels work more than 10 times faster than others.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would do as James suggests, try moving the aerial etc

In answer to your question, yes you should be able to use another one having extracted your username and password from the Sky one.

What we don't know is how long that you will be able to connect to Sky's network with your own router. Plus its against the T and C's. Your call.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

benbot80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01494
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: New router/modem?

Can anyone help me with the connection problem then? The problem is a constant wireless disconnecting and reconnecting literally about every 3 seconds. I've done so many things to try and fix it over the last 4 months.

I've bought a new wireless adaptor for my desktop, reconfigured all router and wireless adaptor settings and reset them all, changed the wireless channels, used that TCP program thing and some more things I have forgotten about.

My computer is upstairs, in the opposite corner of the house to the router (roughly 40ft away). I've done a ping test in the command prompt and saw that the connection timed out roughly every 3 packets sent and when there was a reply, the time was more than 10ms.

So that's why I have been thinking that the problem is to do with the range. Would a 102.11n router be any better than the b/g one?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
      Last edited by benbot80; 03-02-08 at 08:59 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Manufacturers are very keen to sell wireless-N (or more correctly, DRAFT wireless-N) technology, and like to give you the impression that it's all things to all people. Basically, it just blasts away on every channel in the 2.4GHz band in the hope that at least some of it will get through. It's like shouting to someone across a crowded room.

But even if the technology is better, if your current wireless-G network doesn't quite work, then wireless-N will only just work.

Have you tried repositioning the router? A common problem is the "angles" problem. Imagine you've got a wireless router in one room, and a PC in an adjacent room. The router and the PC are positioned right next to the dividing wall but at opposite ends of that wall. You might think that the signal's only got one wall to get through, but radio signals follow straight lines and because the straight line from the router to the PC goes through the wall at a very acute angle, it's actually having to go through a wall that looks several metres thick.

If you were to move both the PC and the router to the opposite corner of each room, they'd be further apart, but because the angle through the wall is closer to perpendicular, you'd actually get a much stronger signal.