Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

windows did not receive a response from the router or access point

This is a discussion on windows did not receive a response from the router or access point within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I will try and explain the strange situation I am experiencing with a home wireless network and would welcome any ...

rcssmb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

windows did not receive a response from the router or access point

I will try and explain the strange situation I am experiencing with a home wireless network and would welcome any help!

We have sky ADSL broadband using a ‘locked down’ Netgear DG934G. We have an ‘old’ laptop running Windows XP home with a Dlink USB wireless adaptor, a Nintendo Wii and two Dell Inspiron 530 Vista home premium pcs with internal wireless cards (both ASUSTek WL-138G_V2.)

Until a week ago all machines would happily connect to the router and the internet without problem. A week ago one of the Dell machines would not connect to the router – it would see the router and show it with excellent signal strength. If I tried to connect it would issue the following message and trouble shooting indicated a low QUALITY (not strength) signal.

"windows did not receive a response from the router or access point"

Contacted Dell who helpfully performed some diagnostics and sent a replacement network card which (you guessed!) had the same issues (I did uninstall old one and do a restart with no card in at all before switching off and installing new card).

Now the other Dell has started to have the same issue when connecting, this one is my daughters pc and is basically used as a TV (media centre in Vista home premium is pretty good) so apart from auto virus and windows updates has not been touched.

So I did a restore back to 10th Jan on my pc thinking an update must have spoiled it all but no such luck. I have now tried updated the system BIOS and drivers for the wireless card (tried windows, ASUS and Broadcom ones (not sure why Broadcom but they were listed on Dell website).

Wii and laptop still carry on working fine. I have tried reverting to factory settings on the router (its pretty locked down so not much scope) changing channels, setting it just to 802.11g, removing WPA key.

To make matters worse when I try the Dlink USB stick in the Dell that works fine.

How can I get the two Vista Dells to work as they used to using their internal wireless cards? I am all out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for one with the patience to read this far…..

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: windows did not receive a response from the router or access point

An update on this one. The other 'TV' Dell is working fine, I only tried it quickly the other day as the system was coming of a sleep and it gave the same message. Hope this one was just a strange blip. I've also tried connecting to another router (without the ADSL connection - ta Sky!) and got the same message so I am putting this down to PC issue not a router problem.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Another update. After four days analysis from Dell they have not been able to solve the issue so will be sending a replacement PC.

Just got the joy of setting the new on up again and transfering the data...

Thanks for your interest.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not sure what this problem is now. New PC arrived but still wont connect to the router with the same message. I have checked that I have not got MAC address filtering on.

Can I get a firmware upgrade for my Netgear DG934G sky provided router?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried scanning for neighbouring wifi and switching to a new channel (preferably) 5 stops away ? Tried relocating cordless phones, video sender ? Tried raising the router above furniture height ?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi fihart, thanks for your advice.
      I have looked in the event log which lists available networks and switched to 1 (others are on 6 and 11). I did try switching ALL other electrical equipment off and have re-located the router futher, closer, and higher, lower but always the same answer. Really got me confused! NB also tried relocating the PC.
      Last edited by rcssmb; 31-01-08 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Additional info