Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dell Laptop and Sky Router

This is a discussion on Dell Laptop and Sky Router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, My wireless has suddenly stopped working today. I have tried system restore and ringing sky but no success. If ...

MCC505 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 675208
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dell Laptop and Sky Router

Hi,

My wireless has suddenly stopped working today. I have tried system restore and ringing sky but no success. If I connect my Dell Laptop by Ethernet I can connect to the internet so I know the broadband is okay but the Dell Adapter says limited or no connectivity and I cannot connect. Any help would be appreciated. I am computer literate but new to wireless.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Dell Laptop and Sky Router

Have you tried removing the encryption from the router to see if it's a network key error? While on ethernet go into 192.168.0.1, user name is admin, password is sky. In the router you need to go into wireless settings or setup depending on what router you are on, try disabling the encryption and then apply it. If you can now connect it's the network key or encryption level.

MCC505 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 675208
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will try that this evening thanks for the reply.

susieal-qassab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have exactly the same problem. Everything was working fine with the wireless until a few weeks ago when the internet suddenly slowed down and then stopped working altogether. It's fine when I connect by ethernet.
      I reset the wireless router and ended up with the same problem as you which was limited or no connectivity. The only thing that worked was manually inputting the IP information (I had checked automatically acquire but I guess it wasn't working). The wireless then said it was connected, but still no internet. I phoned sky who weren't able to help. They said it must be my network key, but my wireless is managed by a Dell utility not windows and I explained that there was nowhere I could see to input a network key (I am using WEP security). Sky's solution was to phone Dell but I'm not sure that will help. I will try PaulSky's suggestion too and see if it works. If any one has any other ideas, please let me know!!

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

try this might not be the same problem but this worked for me

this was a earlier problem for me.
      all i get from windows network diagnostics is cannot communicate with primary dns server (192.168.1.1)
      Ahhh! That is the problem. Go to my post #24. When the WLAN properties pane opens. Highlight Internet Protocol iv4 and click the Properties button. Tick the button for 'Obtain IP address Automatically' and OK out of the boxes. You might need to re-boot the PC to connect.

hope it helps