Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Printer setup?

This is a discussion on Wireless Printer setup? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm looking for information from one of our "Gurus" Have just helped a friend set up his new Sky Broadband, ...

Max_UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swandean
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wireless Printer setup?

I'm looking for information from one of our "Gurus"

Have just helped a friend set up his new Sky Broadband, with a wireless router (Sagem), wireless Notebook (HP) running Vista & a Lexmark Wireless printer. First time around, the printer would not work wirelessly (OK on a USB lead)
      Today, I uninstalled & then reinstalled the printer software without connecting the USB cable. It now works wirelessly.

My question is: Does the printer access the notebook directly or via the router. Silly point I know but it will keep me awake at nights wondering.
      (If I'm being "thick" forgive me, I have a heavy cold & it could have affected my one remaining brain cell)

As a side issue, Sky have managed to send out all the equipment correctly & on time, but have omitted to send his letter with User Name & Password for the email setup. On the phone he was told his email address would be ****-******@sky.com. Didn't know email addresses could have - (dash) in them? Apparently, they will be sending the letter with details soon. In the meantime, he is on a Gmail account, (always a useful backup anyway).

Any info appreciated,
      regards,

Max.

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Printer setup?

Well....you should be able to setup an adhoc network without a router - computer to computer, wirelessly - and in that instance, yes, the communication would be direct. Bung a router in the mix and, uhh, maybe it's "routing" the traffic 'twixt devices. I think. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the Sky email, from lots of posts in this forum it either rarely works or not at all. I don't even know my Sky address and always use either Gmail or a redirected, old Freeserve POP account.