Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

More 'Limited or No Connectivity' Aaaggghhh

This is a discussion on More 'Limited or No Connectivity' Aaaggghhh within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been with Sky broadband for 9 months with no problems. I have three PC's attached by etherenet cables ...

blondz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry More 'Limited or No Connectivity' Aaaggghhh

I have been with Sky broadband for 9 months with no problems. I have three PC's attached by etherenet cables and two laptops and an x-box which connect wirelessly. Up until a couple of months ago we really did not have many problems other than the occasionaly reboot of the router to reconnect the wireless.

However now on all the wireless devices we are unable to connect. Either we get the message about being given an IP address which always fails or we get the limited or no connectivity message. Everything has been rebooted, switched off etc a zillion times and still nothing. The only way I can get the laptops etc to work is via ethernet cables which defeats the object of having wireless.

I am PC literate how not a techy but any advice, comments help etc would really be much appreciated. In addition we now have a wii we want to connect but it is obviously failing too!

Aaaggghhhh!!! Frustrated me!

2. Advertisement
      blondz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: More 'Limited or No Connectivity' Aaaggghhh

That will be a no replies then!

What is the point in having a wireless router if the only way it will work is via an ethernet cable - that's hardly wireless!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Erm it was working once so something has changed.
      Ok, first thing to do is go into control panel, network connections, right click your wireless connection icon, click properties, select middle tab (wireless networking) and remove all prefered networks from the bottom list.
      Then power off the router for 30 seconds, power off all PCs, reboot router, reboot one pc, let it find the wireless network again and put the network key in (normally all capitals, all letters).
      See if the connection establishes and works correctly.
      If nothing connects at all then go to 192.168.0.1 while on ethernet cable,
      user name: admin
      password: sky
      go into wireless settings screen (link is on left side of page), find the wireless security options and disable the encryption (click on apply button once you have the dot in disable).
      Try to connect again. If it still will not connect change the channel number and apply it.
      If after changing channel it works then re-apply WPA, if it then stops turn it down to WEP and generate a new key and apply it.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Do you have any wireless video senders or even DECT phones? These can both cause interference to wireless networks.
      There is no p in Thomson.

HELGHAST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blondz View Post
      I have been with Sky broadband for 9 months with no problems. I have three PC's attached by etherenet cables and two laptops and an x-box which connect wirelessly. Up until a couple of months ago we really did not have many problems other than the occasionaly reboot of the router to reconnect the wireless.

However now on all the wireless devices we are unable to connect. Either we get the message about being given an IP address which always fails or we get the limited or no connectivity message. Everything has been rebooted, switched off etc a zillion times and still nothing. The only way I can get the laptops etc to work is via ethernet cables which defeats the object of having wireless.

I am PC literate how not a techy but any advice, comments help etc would really be much appreciated. In addition we now have a wii we want to connect but it is obviously failing too!

Aaaggghhhh!!! Frustrated me!

HAVE YOU TURNT THE FIREWALL OFF? I HAD THIS PROBLEM AND JUST READ THIS AND NOTICED ITS FIREWALLED. NOW ITS ALL SET UP (sorry for caps)

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've been trying to assist a friend with his new Sky Sagem router and similar wireless problems.

The laptop (Packard Bell) has a Belkin Wireless G Plus card attached and would always be "acquiring IP".

Managed to connect up the Belkin the next day by switching the Sagem wireless channel from Auto to 13 (I used netstumbler to find out that there were ~8 other wireless AP's using channels 1 or 6).

Next day I setup a wireless connection for his Sony Viao laptop (required new ram so couldn't test/setup on the same day as the Packard Bell). The Viao connected without any problems first go (built-in Intel wireless).

A further visit to install and setup Kaspersky AV on the Viao ended in disaster. The Packed Bell locked up trying to download the latest virus definitions for Kaspersky and on rebooting went back to "acquiring IP" . It could see and connect to the Sagem with a strong signal but just couldn't re-gain an IP as it had done for the last 2 days. At the same time the Viao was still able to connect.

Things went from bad to worse as after I had powered the router off/on (unplugged to re-position) the Viao was then unable to obtain an IP .

After rebooting both the Sagem and laptops, switching wireless channels from Auto to several fixed channels and checking everything possible in the time, I managed to get the Sony Viao back up and running perfectly but the Belkin still could not obtain an IP.

I took the Packard Bell laptop back to my own home and had it up and running in seconds on my own Wireless connection (3Com 54g access point). Going back to my friend’s house and trying to connect to the Sagem again resulted in it being unable to obtain an IP (Sony Viao still working fine).

I'm stumped as to why the Sagem's wireless system is just so unforgiving. I've not had any problems any other attempts at setting up a wireless connection as I've had with this router in 5 days.
      Last edited by Zico; 22-01-08 at 12:06 AM.

bluntm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: NTL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

you could try manually setting the IP addresses this would stop the unable to obtain an IP problem

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've given up for now. My friend is ok at the moment (1 desktop wired and the Viao wireless) so I'll wait until I've more time to visit without trying to rush through things.