Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

108 mbps adaptor only running at 54mbps???

This is a discussion on 108 mbps adaptor only running at 54mbps??? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I have the white 108mbps router (GT) .I have the netgear wg111t wireless adaptor.I have messed around for ages ...

katconfuzer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

108 mbps adaptor only running at 54mbps???

Hi I have the white 108mbps router (GT) .I have the netgear wg111t wireless adaptor.I have messed around for ages on xp and finally got it running at 108mbps.On vista 64 bit I have only managed to achieve 54 mbps again.Should I let the netgear wireless utility set up my connection or let vista try.I need to know correct settings for router and adaptor...netgear and sky have poor english speaking people which have been no help...Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: 108 mbps adaptor only running at 54mbps???

Do you actually need 108Mbit/sec? Unless you want faster networking between computers in your house, there's no real benefit because your broadband connection will only work at 16Mbit/sec at the very most.

katconfuzer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Do you actually need 108Mbit/sec? Unless you want faster networking between computers in your house, there's no real benefit because your broadband connection will only work at 16Mbit/sec at the very most.
      I sure don't then thanx for that...I only manage 2500 on the speed tests .I would be happy with 3500 I suppose

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

108Mbps is incredibly hard to achieve in a normal home environment. Even then it is only a 108 signal rate and the actual throughput will be much lower. Just a Marketing "con" really.

With regard to your desire for more speed, if you post your router stats someone may be able to advise what you can do to improve things.

phillai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Knottingley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katconfuzer View Post
      Hi I have the white 108mbps router (GT) .I have the netgear wg111t wireless adaptor.I have messed around for ages on xp and finally got it running at 108mbps.On vista 64 bit I have only managed to achieve 54 mbps again.Should I let the netgear wireless utility set up my connection or let vista try.I need to know correct settings for router and adaptor...netgear and sky have poor english speaking people which have been no help...Any help would be most appreciated.
      Hi mate! I just got this adapter and I'm pretty much sure I read that it doesn't work at the full 108 mbps if you use Vista...

It don't apply to me as I use XP but I'm sure I read it on netgear's website somewhere as I was trying to download the latest drivers.