Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittant Wireless connection on Dell lap top, any help please ?

This is a discussion on Intermittant Wireless connection on Dell lap top, any help please ? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there I have my desk top hard wired via the ethernet cable and have no connection problems. Have just ...

bully74uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Intermittent Wireless connection on Dell lap top, any help please ?

Hi there
      I have my desk top hard wired via the ethernet cable and have no connection problems.
      Have just recently purchased a Dell Inspiron lap top that has built in wireless.

The problem is that one minute it will connect and stay connected for hours. Then another time I will use it and it will find the router with no problems but will keep "aquiring network address" for a while and then the signal bars go blank and the little red cross appears on the connection icon.

This seems to happen quite randomly. for example i am writing this at my desk top with the lap top sat on my lap about a foot away from the router and it is not connecting.

Earlier on this evening it connected fine in the same room as the router.

Last night I was down stairs with the lap top and it found the router and connected as soon as i booted up and stayed connected for over an hour.

What I have noticed is that when I click on the signal bars icon it takes me to a screen within the wireless network wizard that shows what networks are in range. At the moment nothing is showing and if I press refresh then it is still not finding the router yet on another day it will pick up both mine and my neighbours without any problems.

Does this sound like a router problem, a settings problem or possibly even a problem with my internal wireless card (although I would have thought if this had failed then I would never get a connection)

Any help appreciated as its beginning to get on my nerves !

PS I have just hit the refresh button again and it has now found the router but is only registering just over half signal strength yet im only 2 foot away and last night I had nearly max signal when sat down stairs ARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Now its connected again the stupid damn thing. ARRRRRGGGGHHH
      Last edited by bully74uk; 07-01-08 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Intermittant Wireless connection on Dell lap top, any help please ?

^^^ You could just have a conflict with a that neighbour you mention! Try changing the wireless channel.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like interference as above, change the channel, monitor it, if no better change to a different channel.

bully74uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi and thanks for the replies so far.

First question is how do I change the channel ? I have gone into the router settings via IE before and could see that its on channel 1, do I simply click into that and change it ? Are there any recommended channels as ive read something somewhere about 1, 6 and 11 being different to the rest ???
      Also, apart from changing the channel within the router settings will I need to do anything else after from the PC end for example ?

Finally I have just been on Dells site and noticed that there is a 52mb driver update for the internal wireless card that was issued 3 months after my current driver date so im thinking I should update that before I do anything else first.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yep that's how you change the channel, drop it into a new number and apply it.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you are using the original white Sky/Netgear router have a look at the tutorials on how to switch off UPnP in the router.

If using Vista and the laptop wireless is Intel, download the latest Intel drivers.