Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Not another connection problem!

This is a discussion on Not another connection problem! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, Apologies if this is in the wrong place, and also if this has been asked before. (I did ...

Dobbin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not another connection problem!

Hi All,
      Apologies if this is in the wrong place, and also if this has been asked before. (I did search but couldnít find anything specific enough)
      Iím at my wits end here trying to get two PCís connected to the web via Sky connect and so far Iíve come up with nothing.
      I was previously using BT with a separate DSL modem and Netgear wireless router. I switched the account to Sky and expected the BT modem to stop working as soon as the switch was made. It didnít until yesterday when I unplugged it by mistake (I guess it renewed itís IP address on power up and couldnít or something). So last night I plugged in my Sky router (Sagem) for the first time.
      Wired and wireless connectivity between an XP laptop and desktop is fine, in fact Iíve set up the Sky router to allocate the same LAN IP address for the desktop and laptop so that the old drive mapping I had works. So Iím sure there isnít a problem with the networking side of things. But I just cannot seem to connect to the web using either IE7 or Firefox. I can ping Google from the cmd prompt but thatís about it. Iíve removed Norton AV 2007 (using their own tool), turned off every kind of firewall thingy I can fine but it just doesnít seem to work. I have even tried turning off the encryption on the router (nothing could connect in unsecure mode!).

The odd thing is that as a last resort I thought Iíd try my work laptop (XP also) and bingo! That works fine, even the VPN software works a treat. The only difference between the work laptop and the PCís at home, that I can find, is that itís set up to use a domain not a workgroup. Surely that shouldnít make a difference

Any ideaís would be much appreciated, no matter how wackyÖ..Iím getting desperate now!
      Cheers

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Not another connection problem!

If you are on connect then that may be the reason as a small percentage of Connect package users are having problems at the moment. One thing to try before anything else is unplug the router power lead for 30 seconds to a minute and then plug it back in again. If you can ping by URL and by IP and get a response but cannot browse then it is the Connect issue most likely and it has been causing us problems for a couple of weeks now.
      When was your activation date for the Sky service on your line?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the tip, I've just tried the power cycle thing, and still no good I can ping by domain and IP address but cannot browse.

The service was activated on 28th Nov.

If I connect my Netgear router to the Sky modem (and disable the wireless features of the Sky modem) am I still going to have the same problem? Bearing in mind I know these PC's worked with the Netgear router when connected to BT.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yippee fixed it Should have checked the security and privacy setting in IE7 from the start though, doh! Curious why Firefox didn't work though.

All I have to do now is try and improve the wireless performace, it's rubbish compared to my old Netgear router!