Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

new and having problems

This is a discussion on new and having problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; got my line turned on today and there i was all excited however i have spent all day trying to ...

J3OEF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

new and having problems

got my line turned on today and there i was all excited however i have spent all day trying to configure my router to work wireless but i cant seem to do it and its driving me crazy, i have this computer which is the main one then i have a laptop and another pc to connect, all have wireless devices which enable them to connect to this pc as i had it all setup before on virgin. For somereason it says either the limited connectivity sign or it will say connected but wont actually work, also another thing i tried to download drivers for my gfx card and i got speeds of 40kbs :s which is not what i was expecting, i have since used my old belkin router to connect everyone and its fine, its even giving me download speeds of 110kbs which aint great but better then what i was on. any ideas why i cant seem to set it up wireless?

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: new and having problems

any one

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do you get 192.168 ip addresses on all computers attached to the router, the pc that is connected but not working, are you sure it is actually talking to the router? Can you navigate to 192.168.0.1 on that PC?
      Are those download speeds via wireless? If so have you tried an ethernet cable to check the speeds? If the speeds on ethernet are faster then you may just need to change channel on the router.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ermm,

Firstly can I ask how you managed to use your old belkin router to connect? As sky embedd your username and password int he router they supply you and dont give these details out.

What router where you sent (Netgear or Sagem)?
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Do you get 192.168 ip addresses on all computers attached to the router, the pc that is connected but not working, are you sure it is actually talking to the router? Can you navigate to 192.168.0.1 on that PC?
      Are those download speeds via wireless? If so have you tried an ethernet cable to check the speeds? If the speeds on ethernet are faster then you may just need to change channel on the router.
      the download speeds are via the weird connection hence why i thought it was rather shocking considering the speed the connection should be upto or there abouts. The reason i am saying that they are talking is because when the other pc is on and searched for wireless devices it finds the SKY258.. in the list and says signal strength is excellent and that it is either WEP or disabled depending on what i set it at, the laptop also does the same, i only encounter problems when i try to connect as nothing happens. I have not tried to find the I.P's or either systems or navigate to it as im fairly new and have a bit of knowledge about this but not alot. Just find it strange that the laptop and other pc work wirelessly when the sky router has the belkin router plugged into it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Ermm,

Firstly can I ask how you managed to use your old belkin router to connect? As sky embedd your username and password int he router they supply you and dont give these details out.

What router where you sent (Netgear or Sagem)?

I was sent a black sagem router out by sk and i have managed to use my old belkin router by just plugging it in then taking a cable from the modem connection on it and plugging the other end into a spare slot on the sagem modem and its fine and works. I dont know what ppl say when they go on about password and username as so far i have not needed it :s In regards to the belkin plugged into sky router, this is the only way i can get the wireless connection to work, on sky itsself it just wont, sky technical say its a problem with my computers lol

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ah right, this makes a little more sense now as I was under the impressiont hat you used the belkin router instead of the sagem entirely.

But yes I get you now and that you are usin git as a wireless access point.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes your correct, if i could use it stand alone rather then connecting the two together i would. Just need to establish why i can use that as a access point and not the sky one confusing

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J3OEF View Post
      ... sky technical say its a problem with my computers lol
      I think they are right. If I have read this correctly, your PC's are probably set up with IP addresses in a range compatible with your old Belkin router, which used to collect its external IP address from your Virgin cable modem.

Your old router is now being issued with an IP address in a different range by your new Sky router so in effect you now have 2 networks - one between the 2 routers and one between the Belkin router and your PC's.

Ideally you need to reconfigure each PC to obtain its IP address automatically (from the Sky router) with the Belkin powered down.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Try going to 192.168.0.1 via ethernet cable connection to sky router
      user name: admin
      Pword: sky
      go into settings, find the wireless setup and disable encryption
      remove the ethernet cabletry to see if you can connect to the sky router wirelessly, if you can then it's probably going to need to be set at WEP encryption for your devices to connect. If you cannot connect then there is an issue somewhere.
      Either way remember to turn your WPA or WEP encrytion back on within the router settings to secure your connection again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast