Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless adapter: which one is best? please advice

This is a discussion on Wireless adapter: which one is best? please advice within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Dear all, I am going to be connected to Sky Broadband soon. I prefer wireless connection rather than pulling a ...

soltes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless adapter: which one is best? please advice

Dear all,

I am going to be connected to Sky Broadband soon. I prefer wireless connection rather than pulling a long wire from my phone socket.

Sky has told me that I can use their own wireless adapter for about 28, but didn't give me any detail about the adapter, such as speed or name, things like that.

To give you some info, the BT phone socket is downstairs where the router will be and my computer (Desk top at the moment) is upstairs bed room in a two storey house. Will the distnace matter for the speed and connection?

On the guide, they advice it is possible to use 802.11b or g compatible adpaters. and these adapters prices range from 19.99, 29.99, 39.99 and 59.99 (Checked today @ PC World) I think. If you have been using which wireless adapter is the best to use? Is the best one the most expensive and how much do I need to spend

Any advice on the above matter is appreciated before I spend my money and time. I want to get the best out of the wireless connection i am gonna have.

Thanks
      Sol

2. Advertisement
      chrisc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01204
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless adapter: which one is best? please advice

WG511 - NETGEAR.com i use this one tried loads over years and this is the best one i have used never had a problem....

Techn1976 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ringway
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Wireless adapter: which one is best? please advice

Quote Originally Posted by soltes View Post
      802.11b or g compatible adpaters.l
      B) 802.11b Speed 11 Mbit/s / Range 10 meteres
      G) 802.11g Speed 54 Mbit/s and is backward compatable / Range 50 meters

by the way... Do you have a PC or a Laptop?

if its for a PC... (DO NOT BUY Wireless Cardbus Adapter)... get a dongle.
      if its for a Laptop get a Wireless Cardbus Adapter

if i was you i would get a G band adapter/dongle, unless range is not an issue for you.

remember that if you do get a B Band, then they will as USB 1.1 or USB 2.0
      speed on usb 1 - 12Mbit/s
      speed on usb 2 - 480Mbit/s (this will also be backward compatable with usb 1)

i would recommend the following...
      linksys, belkin, netgear, d-link etc etc.... Personally i would buy a Linksys

Code:
      http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?strSearch=linksys&bolShowAll=true&intStoreID=8&bolShowAll=true
      Quote Originally Posted by soltes View Post
      To give you some info, the BT phone socket is downstairs where the router will be and my computer (Desk top at the moment) is upstairs bed room in a two storey house. Will the distnace matter for the speed and connection?
      A desktop.... lol sorry didnt see that ;-)
      and yes the distance and the make up of the wall etc will give you a slower speed
      Last edited by Techn1976; 01-01-08 at 04:58 AM. Reason: typo... i didnt read all of it.. still havent lol

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Wireless adapter: which one is best? please advice

As you have a desktop buy a USB WiFi adaptor and use with a USB extension lead so you can move it around to get the best reception. I have a system with 2 Access Points, one at 802.11b and the other is 802.11g. Using the same laptop set to 'roaming' I can see little actual difference in Internet speed even though the basic network speed is theoretically 5x faster with 802.11g. Both b and g have exactly the same range. I have 2 AP's because we live in a large Edwardian property and one WiFi Router doesn't cover the who house. So I bought an Access Point and ran some LAN cable from the router, from the top floor, down one level and then attached the AP. That gave me complete coverage across the property on two different channels (I chose 1 and 10 to keep then well apart).

Finally an alternate method is 'Homeplug' which distributes the network over the house 240v mains cable. I've used that and it works well (plus it's very secure). It has the advantage that it's range is better inside older property with thisker walls. Gogle 'homeplug' for more details.