Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sorry to add another "Acquiring Network Address" thread

This is a discussion on Sorry to add another "Acquiring Network Address" thread within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been trying for days, but I cannot figure out what is going wrong. I have new Sky BB ...

Mingthemerciless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to add another "Acquiring Network Address" thread

I have been trying for days, but I cannot figure out what is going wrong. I have new Sky BB, with the new Netgear Router without arials. Wired I-net access is fine. Wireless access with my Thinkpad laptop is fine, fast and reliable. A second PC (XP Home) is also fine, although not used very often, so I am not 100% sure it's reliable. The problem is with my Mesh Desktop. I fitted Belkin G Wireless adaptors to both desktops. Both desktops run XP Home, both have the same Belkin adaptor and are located in neighbouring rooms, upstairs, with the router downstairs. I always get Excellent signal strength and the other machines connect very fast, but the my Mesh was very sporadic to begin with. Connected, and stayed on for hours, then dropped off and refused to reconnect. Rebooting both Mesh and Router, usually gets things going again. Strange thing is that when I cannot connect to my router, the Mesh will hook up fine to the unsecure Netgear in the neighbourhood. So, the card appears to be working, but not with my router. The router is working because I can always connect with the other two machines. The router is ok with Belkin cards ,because the other desktop always works. I have changed the channel from default 1 to 2 and 4, and I changed encryption down to WEP/128 , just for fun. Today the Mesh refused to connect to my router at all, but will happily connect to the unsecure Network. I could disable DHCP and go for fixed IP, if that helps, but it irks me that the other two machines don't have a problem with DHCP. HELP PLEASE !!! I am losing the will to live here... What am i overlooking ?

details:
      Mesh 2100/Athlon 1.5GM mem, XP Home/SP2, Wireless Network patch applied,
      Belking wireless G card. Any other details needed, please ask.
      Last edited by Mingthemerciless; 30-12-07 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling corrected and some details added

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sorry to add another "Acquiring Network Address" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mingthemerciless View Post
      I could disable DHCP and go for fixed IP, if that helps, but it irks me that the other two machines don't have a problem with DHCP.
      I would certainly try this, if for no other reason than to rule out DHCP as the cause of the problem. Give the Mesh PC a static IP address and reserve this in the router. You do not need to turn DHCP off for the other 2 machines.

If this does not resolve the issue then you have to start looking deeper into that PC.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I would certainly try this, if for no other reason than to rule out DHCP as the cause of the problem. Give the Mesh PC a static IP address and reserve this in the router. You do not need to turn DHCP off for the other 2 machines.

If this does not resolve the issue then you have to start looking deeper into that PC.
      Thank you, I will certainly try that and report back.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is just weird. I reserved x.x..x.10 on the router and set the Mesh up with a static IP 192.168.0.10 . The machine connects lightning-fast at full 54MB/s speed.... BUT I don't see the network or internet. Cannot ping the router at 192.168.0.1 or the other machines and x.x.x.10 does not show in the list of connected devices on the router. The default DNS was set to the router's address, as it is on the other machines. I also tried setting it to the router's DNS lookup address, but no joy there either.
      I guess that all this is because the router, on connection still wants to give an IP address, even if the host is not asking for it, and hence does not complete the registration. Next step, switch off DHCP and give all machines static IP. If that fails, I have a spare new Belkin card I can fit and after that I will wipe the Mesh and rebuild from install image. Any other ideas ? .... anyone ? MtM

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

^^^ Not sure about this but if you reserve an IP address in the router then I think the router will expect to give out that IP address to the MAC code reserved with it. In this case the PC should be set to obtain its IP address automatically.

If on the other hand you set your router DHCP range to exclude a static IP address assigned to the PC (ie start at x.x.x.2 and end at x.x.x.9 or start at x.x.x.11 and end at x.x.x.254) then you may have more success?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      ^^^ Not sure about this but if you reserve an IP address in the router then I think the router will expect to give out that IP address to the MAC code reserved with it. In this case the PC should be set to obtain its IP address automatically.

If on the other hand you set your router DHCP range to exclude a static IP address assigned to the PC (ie start at x.x.x.2 and end at x.x.x.9 or start at x.x.x.11 and end at x.x.x.254) then you may have more success?
      Well, that sounds plausible. Unfortunately I found that, after switching all PCs in the network to fixed IP and DHCP to off on the router. all other PCs work as they should, with and without reserving the IP addr. in the router, but the Mesh is still dead. It says connected at top speed. I can ping localhost and my own IP address, but nothing else. ( I also noticed that none of the other PCs can see each other, but I think that is another problem, to be tackled later ;-)
      I have also disabled the Symantec FW, just in case, but all machines have the same FW on, so it's not that.
      I will swap in the spare Belkin card next. before I rebuild the Mesh... Oh joy !!! (Thanks for your help and Happy New Year !

PS. just switched to the Belkin tool, for the WiFi control, because it gives better error-msg for what is and is not working. Guess, what, the connection just came live. I can see Google !
      I will report if it lasts....
      Last edited by Mingthemerciless; 31-12-07 at 06:22 PM. Reason: update - suddenly working....

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The story continues. I found that the connection worked for a little while and then dropped again, and refused to reconnect. I did another ping to the router and actually got some "hardware error" messages while the ping was running. At that point I switched off and switched the Belkin card for the also brand new spare, that I had. For all of the next day, the connection worked just great and I thought the problem was solved. Then the inevitable happened and the connection dropped again. Status showed "connected to the router" but no visibility of the router as main gateway.A continuous ping also popped up "Hardware errors" with the new card AND I had XP moan at me that I had now changed the Mesh so much that I needed to reactivate Windows. Gotta love Microsoft . Well, so, last night I reconnected, in a flash, to one of my friendly neighbours open networks, no problem. Then disconnected and "repaired" the connection (which resets the hardware and restarts the IP stack (I think) and suddenly I am back on my own network, fast and solid. My plan is now to rebuild the Mesh's OS. I think somewhere Window's must have a kink that I cannot find. One curious thing. When the repair of the connection failed one time, the IP address I was left with, although not working was this : 169.254.187.11 , I did a whois on it and the server is called "blackhole...." very odd. Ho hum, more updates when the Mesh is a virgin sys again.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

169. addresses are internal IP addresses that a pc will take if they cannot get an IP from a DHCP. Basically it means that your PC was not able to get an IP address from any DHCP sources.