Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

cant connect wirelessly

This is a discussion on cant connect wirelessly within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi all firstly id like to say how gd this site is....recently i set up sky broadband for my mum ...

thestig is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:

cant connect wirelessly

hi all firstly id like to say how gd this site is....recently i set up sky broadband for my mum was workin fine up until i tried to connect my laptop to her network and it wouldnt connect so i reset the router from the small reset button on back now i canonly connect from yellow cable and none of the pcs on the network will pick
      the router up please help as im goin insane

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Blog Entries

Re: cant connect wirelessly

Hi there,

First things first, What OS are the PC's running? I would assume the most are XP?

Secondly where are they located in conjunction to the wireless router. You need to remember that a wireless signal having to travel through brick walls and metal will reduce the signal strength. So if the router is in the next room along downstairs there is a big layer of bricks due to the angle.

Secondly, although this is not a default setting, make sure that the SSID is being broadcast from the router. If this option is disabled then the PC's will not pick the router up as the router will in effect be hidden.

Try moving the router about a little bit to see if you can boost the signal at all (by location). Also if you right click on the wireless adapter and go to properties. Then click on the configure button next to the adapter name and look for something along the lines of "Roaming Aggressivness".
      This function is usefull as it allows you to change it to lowest (makes it very sticky to a particular access point and so allowing for degrading of the signal) to highest (Continously scanning for other Access points and will change is any degrading occurs on the signal). So make sure this is set to lowest to try and get it to stick to your mums wireless.

Other members will have other bits of advice and other way of doing things but these would my personal first ports of call.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Re: cant connect wirelessly

How long did you press the reset button in for? Unless something had been changed on the router to get it working wirelessly with the PCs in the first place it should still be working. What happens when you try to connect wirelessly? Is the router actually seen by the computers or is it totally missing?
      I would try power cycling the box (remove the mains power lead for 30 seconds) and see if anything changes. If not then you may need to call TS to go through troubleshooting but checking to see what wireless settings are in place would be a good start.