Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Aquiring IP address loop problem, Help req'd

This is a discussion on Aquiring IP address loop problem, Help req'd within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there Have been searching through the forum for a definitive answer to this problem that I am having trying ...

bully74uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Aquiring IP address loop problem, Help req'd

Hi there
      Have been searching through the forum for a definitive answer to this problem that I am having trying to connect a Dell 1501 to my Sky broadband.

I have a desktop that is connected via the Ethernet cable with no problems but when I try to connect the lap top via wireless the following happens.

1, the lap top immediately finds the Network (and that of my neighbours)

2, When I try to connect by entering the SSID the lap top tries to connect but just loops on Aquiring Network Address.

3, I have tried entering the SSID in both upper and lower case but this doesn't seem to have any effect.

I am running XP Home SP2

I get the following information.

in Wireless Network Connection Status, under the "General Tab" it says: Status - Aquiring Network Address

under the "Support Tab" it says: Address type - Invalid IP Address

In Dell Wireless WLAN card utilities it says: AP MAC Address - (keeps re-setting to 00.00.00.00 then a number appears but it re-sets back to the zeros again and loops)

Is there a definative answer to whats causing this and how do I fix it so that I can use my lap top on the wireless network ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Aquiring IP address loop problem, Help req'd

Sounds like an encryption problem.

Make sure you select WPA-PSK as the encryption in your laptop and then enter the SSID and network key.

Note also that the network key is case sensitive so enter it exactly as it is written on the bottom of the router.

Also, change your channel number on the router to one as far away as possible to the channel being used by your neighbours.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Most of the network keys are all letters in capital. If you get it slightly wrong then it will go into an aquiring IP address loop.

bully74uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Most of the network keys are all letters in capital. If you get it slightly wrong then it will go into an aquiring IP address loop.
      Ive been thinking about this and I thought all my letters were capitals but thinking about it one digit is an "l" which I put in as a capital "I" (thinking they all needed to be capitals) so maybe that is where I have gone wrong.

Will check when I get home.

Also the lap top is new so has nothing but the OS on there, what about the windows firewall ? if this is activated could that be causing the problem ?

Thank you for the speedy replies so far.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nope the firewall won't be causing it, double check the network key is correct and if that still doesn't connect then ethernet onto the router and turn off encryption to see if wireless connection is achieved whithout encryption.
      90% of these errors are encrytion based, get the network key right and most are resolved.