Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless connection dies if left unused...

This is a discussion on Wireless connection dies if left unused... within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a problem that we have with our Sky wireless broadband. ...

ChristoFogelberg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01865
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless connection dies if left unused...

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a problem that we have with our Sky wireless broadband.

The problem is that unless the it is being used (e.g. downloading or playing online games) the connection just dies after a minute or so. Although the connection does not show up as disconnected in the WinXP system tray if you try to use it, e.g. load a new web page, download email, it never flashes blue and whatever you've tried to do will just time out. This is very frustrating when trying to surf the web!

If the connection is repaired that brings it back to life, as does just toggling wireless off and then back on on my laptop, and when it does work it works very well.

It's possible this is a particular problem with my laptop (an Asus M6A) but my flatmates have also had problems with theirs as well. We don't have a cordless phone but I do have a wireless mouse. I don't think my wireless mouse could interfere with their connections though even if it was interfering with mine. Since we've all had the problem this makes me think it's something router related.

The router is a DG834GT, and using admin/sky as the username and password I've been able to get some diagnostics. Based on what little I've read these suggest that the connection is OK, which again suggests something funny with the wireless from our laptops to the router. The problem is I don't know what it could be or how to fix it! If anyone has any suggestions or can think of any more information that it would be useful for me to post here please just say so

Thanks,
      Christo

PS: Those statistics I mentioned that suggest the internet connection itself is fine and that it's not the problem: Connection speed is ~8Mb down, 4kb up; line attenuation is 18db down and 13db up; noise margin is 13.8db down, 14 up. Those are all fine I think. Thanks again for any help that anyone can offer!

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection dies if left unused...

Here's an interesting workaround which goes some way towards confirming what I said earlier (that it's a problem with the wireless from LT to router rather than with the connection from the router up):

I left the netgear router statistics window open while I typed the previous message. It refreshes automatically every 10 seconds, and my connection has stayed alive the whole time - I was able to post the first message in this thread without having to toggle the wireless off and then back on, and the page that I'm typing this reply into loaded as well... I expect I'll be able to hit "post" now and have it post without my needing to repair or toggle the connection as well...

PS: I've also turned off UPnP and tried rebooting the router, neither of those fixed the problem.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is powersaving enabled for wireless device? If so it may be turning it off to save power. Check your power saving settings and check in control panel, system, device manager for the wireless device and check it's properties to make sure it's not set to turn off.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it is using any power management settings because the blue LED on the front of my laptop which indicates "wireless is turned on" doesn't turn off.

However, I've checked the Power Management list entry in the Other tab of the wireless adapter's properties page. That was set to a default value of maximum battery life for my LT. I've ramped that up to "maximum performance" instead and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

For the record and if it's relevant, my laptop uses a Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, with driver version 9.0.1.9. This is old but no updates have come to me via Windows Update so I guess there haven't been any critical ones. I don't know which wireless adapters my flatmates use, sorry.

Cheers,
      Christo

PS: Just tried to reply to this now, but my connection had dropped out in the interim. Grrr... was able to recover what I had written by using the back button but for AJAX websites that doesn't work; this can be v. frustrating! :P

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Is that the white netgear router? If so go into the router control page, wireless settings and turn off UPnP. Might help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Yes, it is the white router, with silver metallic strip down the front. Tried turning off UPnP as I saw that mentioned on another website and it might have helped a little bit but not much - the wireless connection fails silently after a couple of minutes of not being used. It looks like it's still connected according to the icon in the system tray, but it doesn't flash and it seems like nothing is getting sent over it when, e.g., try to post this message... :/

Christo

psybear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Very interested to read this as i have exactly the same problem, except on my desktop PC. I actually thought it might be a compatibility issue between my Netgear router and my Linksys wireless adaptor, and had come on here looking for recommendations on alternative adaptors

Like you, i have found the connection just stops working, even though the icon in the system tray indicates continued connectivity and a strong signal. Like you, I usually fix it by using the repair function.

Very annoying. Let me know if you fix it please!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psybear View Post
      Very interested to read this as i have exactly the same problem, except on my desktop PC. I actually thought it might be a compatibility issue between my Netgear router and my Linksys wireless adaptor, and had come on here looking for recommendations on alternative adaptors

Like you, i have found the connection just stops working, even though the icon in the system tray indicates continued connectivity and a strong signal. Like you, I usually fix it by using the repair function.

Very annoying. Let me know if you fix it please!
      It is very annoying! I'm sorry to say that I have no fix for this problem yet. My guess is that it is a problem with a cheap router and that it does something funny in its protocol implementation, because some machines/wireless adapters have no problem with it. Others, like mine (Asus M6A laptop with Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG) have the disappearing network problem.

So I've ordered a ten metre cat 5e cable over the internet. Using a cable rather than wireless seems to have fixed it for my flatmate, if by "fix" you mean "avoid". It's not ideal but it'll probably work better than setting http://192.168.0.1/system.htm to refresh every second just to keep the connection alive.

HTH,
      xto

psybear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmm. Not really a 'solution' though, is it. Bit pointless having a wireless router with cable running from it.... plus I have five computers and an XBox 360 all sharing the connection (rarely simultaneously) so my hall would look like Spaghetti Junction.

Think I'll try a Netgear PCI adaptor, see if that helps. Thanks anyway.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Have you tried connecting the Laptop to any other wireless access point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast