Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laptop Can't Connect To Sky Router

This is a discussion on Laptop Can't Connect To Sky Router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My PC can connect, but my laptop can't. I've tried using the winsock fix programme and no luck I've tried ...

D3K
      D3K is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishen
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Laptop Can't Connect To Sky Router

My PC can connect, but my laptop can't. I've tried using the winsock fix programme and no luck I've tried doing the release/renew option in command mode, I've also tried repairing the connection via the icon in the taskbar and no luck, and I've tried using the internet repair feature of windows live messenger.

The laptop can connect to my router, but it can't access the internet. When doing the ipconfig, I found that the laptop didn't have a default gateway assigned. Can anyone tell me if that might be the problem, or if that might be what's contributing to the problem? And can anyone tell me a solution?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Laptop Can't Connect To Sky Router

Have you tried lowering the level of encryption on the router or even turning it off to check if your wireless device is actually working with the router?

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only encryption I have on the router is the Network Key, and I don't actually know how or if that can be turned off?

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It can be turned off withint he router itself. When you say network key I am assuming you mean the default WPA passphrase which is supplied with the router?

If you go into your routers config screen and disable any security settings for wireless. Then if your laptop connects then you know it is down to the security settings.

Also is the router broadcasting in G only, or B only or both ? Not all cards are capable of using WPA or both G and B modes on wireless. Make sure your router is broadcasting in both b&g.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D3K View Post
      My PC can connect, but my laptop can't. I've tried using the winsock fix programme and no luck I've tried doing the release/renew option in command mode, I've also tried repairing the connection via the icon in the taskbar and no luck, and I've tried using the internet repair feature of windows live messenger.

The laptop can connect to my router, but it can't access the internet. When doing the ipconfig, I found that the laptop didn't have a default gateway assigned. Can anyone tell me if that might be the problem, or if that might be what's contributing to the problem? And can anyone tell me a solution?

When you say it can connect to the router - can you log onto it via your web browser at 192.168.0.1 ?

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In reply to the last post: I've not tried that, I'll try it now and then edit my post.

Edit - I typed in the address you gave, and it said Internet Explorer Cannot Open The Search Page.

I don't know how to get into the router configuration page, as I seem to have lost the letter that came with the router. If I ring Sky will they be able to tell me? When I say I can connect to the router I mean that the Sitecom wireless icon in the bottom right corner shows a good conncection, however the little computer icon is 'Acquiring Network Address'.

And I have no idea if the router is broadcasting in B or G..and I don't know how to check. Can someone help me with that too?
      Last edited by D3K; 10-12-07 at 02:16 PM.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

To ocnnect to the router you need to type Http://192.168.0.1 into your browser, from a computer that can access the the internet or at least the router.
      The to login user the username Admin and the password Sky. As for guides on how to set things up, there are a couple of tutorials already. I would make an animated one for you, however I am still awaiting for mine to arrive so am a little stuck in that respect.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried using Admin and Sky as the password, but no luck. Now I'm going to try and contact sky to get the information.

Does anyone know their customer support helpline? I tried 07805515515 but I don't think it's right.

I just tried using the ip release and renew again, when I tried it earlier it would release it, but when it came to renewing it it just didn't happen. Now it says "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Internet Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."
      Last edited by D3K; 10-12-07 at 02:47 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Erm the user name is admin and password is sky all lower case, try using the ethernet if not already until you get the wireless set up. If you are going around in an acquiring IP address loop then you may have put the network key in wrong or are on the wrong encryption setting, the WPA network key is in all CAPS.

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok yeah sorted that. I disabld the security options, and now my computer or laptop wont connect to the router. I've connected through the ethernet cable now.

My router is both B & G and the security is off.. though can't connect through wireless now. What shall I do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast