Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Adaptor finds router but wont connect

This is a discussion on Wireless Adaptor finds router but wont connect within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Im setting up a wireless network for a friend of mine. She is running windows Vista with a netgear ...

Charmer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Adaptor finds router but wont connect

Hi

Im setting up a wireless network for a friend of mine. She is running windows Vista with a netgear router and a belkin 7050 adapter (Which works fine on my orange livebox). The wired connection works fine. When trying to connect wirelessly, the belkin adaptor has no problems finding the router with a very strong signal but wont connect. I have tried WPA, WEP & security turned off but still i get an error message saying the connection cannot be made. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can try next.

Regards

Rob

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Adaptor finds router but wont connect

Have you entered "setup access list" in wireless settings and turned access control on. if so you then need to add the wireless pc to trusted wireless stations.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just to add to this (sorry dholdi) I know that in XP there are issues between windows Zero config utility and the makers own software for wireless adapters. I am not sure whether this issue is still present in Vista, but perhaps worth keeping in mind.

Mine worked out of the box, so I guess im lucky.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Just to add to this (sorry dholdi)
      No need to apologize mate - any additional info that may help is more than welcome.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe I am completely wrong but it may be a conflict with the settings when it was connected to the Orange box. Try uninstalling the adapter, then reinstall it. Vista is strange when it comes to wireless, sometimes it works flawlessly and others it is just a pig.

Other thoughts-Make sure Network Discovery is properly enabled and it is set for a Private network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

C0untd0wn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01744
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
      Hi

Im setting up a wireless network for a friend of mine. She is running windows Vista with a netgear router and a belkin 7050 adapter (Which works fine on my orange livebox). The wired connection works fine. When trying to connect wirelessly, the belkin adaptor has no problems finding the router with a very strong signal but wont connect. I have tried WPA, WEP & security turned off but still i get an error message saying the connection cannot be made. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can try next.

Regards

Rob
      ** Just thought on, also worth trying a different wireless channel as there may well be interference with:
      baby monitors, dect phones, and a the neighbours wireless routers. not to mention tv room-to-room transmitters - i've had to do this previously and found that the channels overlap , so e.g. channel 1 and channel 2 can bleed into each other **

Hi Charmer. I'm having problems with the sky wireless side of things too.
      forgive me if i'm teaching you to suck eggs, but here's what you need to do to check where the problem lies:
      1. You say you can "see" the wireless router - do you have an icon on the system tray (near clock) for the wireless connection that says you are connected to "SKYabwxyz" etc?
      2. If you are "connected" then check your IP address to see if you have received a DHCP address - probably in the region of 192.168.0.2, 3 or 4
      To check you local ip address (open a command prompt, then type IPCONFIG /ALL)
      3. Included in this list is a Default Gateway, which should point at your router (192.168.0.1 probably)
      ** If you have a "connected" icon, a dhcp assigned IP address, and a correct default gateway, then you are 90% there.
      try PINGing an external web address such as "www.bbc.co.uk"
      just type in your command prompt
      PING BBC - bbc.co.uk homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet
      you'll get a message something like "Pinging BBC - bbc.co.uk homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet [212.58.251.203] ....]
      then either
      "request timed out" or
      "Reply from 204.230.209.252: Destination host unreachable.

as MY broadband connection has just been down for 10 mins >:-(
      and you should see some responses (4 to be exact) with something like
      "Reply from 212.58.224.83: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=247"
      if that works then this means you are able to reach the outside world from your PC.

HOWEVER, the problem i now have, is at this point i cant access any web pages from the browser.
      BTW- forgot to mention (i think) - turn off all wireless (WEP and WPA) security first, to make sure that is not causeing you the / a problem...

let me know how you get on...

Glen
      Last edited by C0untd0wn; 11-12-07 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added point about trying different channels...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C0untd0wn View Post
      ** Just thought on, also worth trying a different wireless channel as there may well be interference with:
      baby monitors, dect phones, and a the neighbours wireless routers. not to mention tv room-to-room transmitters - i've had to do this previously and found that the channels overlap , so e.g. channel 1 and channel 2 can bleed into each other **

Hi Charmer. I'm having problems with the sky wireless side of things too.
      forgive me if i'm teaching you to suck eggs, but here's what you need to do to check where the problem lies:
      1. You say you can "see" the wireless router - do you have an icon on the system tray (near clock) for the wireless connection that says you are connected to "SKYabwxyz" etc?
      2. If you are "connected" then check your IP address to see if you have received a DHCP address - probably in the region of 192.168.0.2, 3 or 4
      To check you local ip address (open a command prompt, then type IPCONFIG /ALL)
      3. Included in this list is a Default Gateway, which should point at your router (192.168.0.1 probably)
      ** If you have a "connected" icon, a dhcp assigned IP address, and a correct default gateway, then you are 90% there.
      try PINGing an external web address such as "www.bbc.co.uk"
      just type in your command prompt
      PING BBC - bbc.co.uk homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet
      you'll get a message something like "Pinging BBC - bbc.co.uk homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet [212.58.251.203] ....]
      then either
      "request timed out" or
      "Reply from 204.230.209.252: Destination host unreachable.

as MY broadband connection has just been down for 10 mins >:-(
      and you should see some responses (4 to be exact) with something like
      "Reply from 212.58.224.83: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=247"
      if that works then this means you are able to reach the outside world from your PC.

HOWEVER, the problem i now have, is at this point i cant access any web pages from the browser.
      BTW- forgot to mention (i think) - turn off all wireless (WEP and WPA) security first, to make sure that is not causeing you the / a problem...

let me know how you get on...

Glen
      Hi Glen.

What i mean by seeing the router is that in the bottom right hand corner of windows there is the icon that says `Wireless networks are available' Double click on that and the connection box comes up. Highlight SKY1234 and click connect. Windows returns with an error message saying connection cannot be made. Ive tried connecting to it with router encryption turned off but it still says connection cannot be made. Does that make sense ???

Thanks

Rob

cornish_lady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cleator moor, cumbria
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Dont know if this will help anyone, but it may

I had the same problem. Had a full house network running (with BT) with Netgear DG834GT and 2 pc's and 2 laptops and friends and family connecting easily when they visited (turn your back and I'll put the pwd in lol)

Migrated to sky and received DG934G, setup easy (5 mins) but wireless range useless (basically more than 2m away from router and you'd had it)

Tried all the advice from here (thank you folks) including changing channel to 11 (the old router was on this channel with no probs) to no avail, then looked and found windows firewall was on. Turned it off and voila we're back in business Will now go and check the other machines and hopefully that will be that

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.

And the eventual winner was..........................dholdi

Adding the wireless pc to the trusted zone worked a treat.

Many, many thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Rob

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That's a bit strange, unless you turned on the Access Control, there should be no need to add anything to the Trusted Zone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast