Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ridicilous

This is a discussion on Ridicilous within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Turning off UPnP shouldn't/can't do that You would get issues with applications that need portforwarding such as some games and ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Ridicilous

Turning off UPnP shouldn't/can't do that

You would get issues with applications that need portforwarding such as some games and P2P but not for much else - most other things (browser etc) should continue to work fine.

Flashing to the newest Netgear firmware would certainly remove the possibility of the UPnP bug but I wouldn't recommend it especially as the new Sky firmware will be out soon.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When I turn off uPnP I get no internet whatsoever.
      As Saturday says, this should have no effect on normal internet use. It could be another setting which you may have changed unwittingly which is causing the problem. I would suggest you try resetting the router, see if that has any effect. If the problem is still there, then try turning off UPnP.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

iKettles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Alright. After observation my internet seems to drop whenever the computer directly connected to the router via ethernet is turned on/someone logs off. Any reason why this is and why it's only happened now?

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I just read right through this thread and looked again at your photos. It looks like you might have a Sky box connected to the line.

If so, is it plugged into an ADSL filter? That would cause problems if not.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^ Yea the Sky box splitters are rubbish honestly. They slowed down my downstream to 1.3MB now getting 3.7mb. The sky engineers should be told to fit this into a filter.

Ok first takeout everything filter phones SKy box etc.

Now plug the filter in first and only the filter into the socket. Now plug the Sky Box into the filter (Were you would usually put the phone). Now plug your phone into the back of the Sky Box splitter. Great now you should only have to insert the ADSL line into the back of the filter.

Also I assume you have the V1 wireless router (Netgear white). If so that handles low SNR very badly. Just use this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 to bump up the target SNR to XX. The default setting for the SNR is 6.9 (100). Good but in some cases needs to be higher. So try different settings. I found 133 (8.3) works the best for me.

Hopes this helps
      Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have just realized that you are referring to a wireless connection dropping out. When this happens does the internet connection go with it, ie can your ethernet connected machines still connect? If they can, then I think we may all have been barking up the wrong tree.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123