Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

LM Technologies Wireless LAN USB Adapter problems

This is a discussion on LM Technologies Wireless LAN USB Adapter problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; We recently got Sky Broadband, and we have connected two laptops to the wireless network fine. I wanted to connect ...

mk12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LM Technologies Wireless LAN USB Adapter problems

We recently got Sky Broadband, and we have connected two laptops to the wireless network fine. I wanted to connect my, fairly old, laptop to it as well. So I bought the "LM Technologies 54mps WiFi USB Adapter".

Amazon.co.uk: Lm Technologies 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for PC & Linux: Electronics & Photo

I'm having serious problems getting it all to work. I installed the drivers, then installed the software that came on the disk. Although it seems that the software can find the wireless connection (SKY*****), it just cannot connect.

Do I need to configure certain settings? We have been given a network key from Sky, but I am unsure where I have to enter this, as I am not prompted to do so anywhere.

LM Technologies support is awful. It's no help at all.

On the "network connections" page, I have managed to get "Wireless NEtwork Connection 8" to be set to "enabled", but the internet just isn't working.

Does anyone else have this card?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: LM Technologies Wireless LAN USB Adapter problems

The usual advice when making a new connection is to start by temporarily disabling the wireless security (encryption) in the router. Advice on Sky User site and Help files on Sky CD say how to address the router's user interface.

LM Technologies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Issues with any type of security and wireless adapters are common to all manufacturers of wireless adapters.

if you donot enter the SKY???? or the security in the same case as the card supplied with the router or the lable on the bottom of the router then this will stop you from connecting to your wireless router.

LM Technologies Now have a New website at LM Technologies Website

if you are still having an issue with the adapter then please click on the link below to register for support on the LM Technologies Support Website

there new support team should be able to help you with your issue

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

^^^^^ Shameless plug

Exchange:
      Thanks

You should be carfull disabling the security on your router this should only be done as a trial to see if it fixes the issues with the security key.

If you leave the security set to none then you will allow anyone to connect to your router and use your broadband or even have access to your computers at your home.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      ^^^^^ Shameless plug
      Shameless plug or link to enable someone to help then seleves fix the issue

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Would be simpler to tell them what to do here though. Best bet is check what channel the router is on, make sure windows is in charge of the device to ensure less issues, (Windows / Wireless Zero Configuration), point the device at the Sky SSID, give the KEY in all capitals, no numbers or lower case if on default key and let it connect.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are running XP or better I would advise you to uninstall everything you have installed in connection with the adapter. When you have done that install the adapter drivers only, do not install addition software. This will allow Windows to manage your wireless connection. It should then be straight forward to connect to the router.

If you are running an OS older than XP you may be stuck with the adapter software.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Totally agree. One of the enduring problems with WiFi is mixed management software. The Windows (XP, Vista, 7) management software is good and universal. Manufacturers software only applies to their hardware. So settle on the Windows software (and just use the hardware manufacturers drivers) as you have multiple adaptors on your network.

The limited specification on Amazon says it supports WEP - no mention of WPA as supported by the Sky Router by default. If that's correct your problem is the very old security system supported by the LM USB Adaptor. I'd cut my losses and buy a more recent adaptor that supports WPA as its much more secure and defaults to the standard used by Sky (and almost everyone else).