Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Limited or no connectivity - another one

This is a discussion on Limited or no connectivity - another one within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Guys (& Gals) Appreciate this appears to be a common thread but have read loads on the site, and not ...

andycov is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Limited or no connectivity - another one

Guys (& Gals)
      Appreciate this appears to be a common thread but have read loads on the site, and not solved my problem. My main desktop PC is linked via ethernet cable to sky router (Netgear 834 thingy). Second desktop have installed a Netgear PCI card, and initially got a wireless connection up and running without problem for about two weeks. Then it failed and whilst can still get online on main PC via ethernet cable, second PC gets "limited or no connectivity" - so no internet. Signal strength is showing between 90 and 100% so presume range of PC etc is not a problem. Have checked protocols and both showing as "obtain address when connected" (so not specifiying 192.168 etc nor a DNS 255 address either). I've tried going into the router settings to specify the MAC address of the PCI wireless card as trusted and limiting to trusted but that didn't work either. So am at a bit of a loss. Rang Sky but all I got for 25 minutes was "link the second PC to the ethernet cable ..... I told the guy the two PCs were on different floors of the house and the cable wouldn't stretch that far but I got the same reply.... so eventually gave up and thought the answer might arrive quicker on here. Thanks for reading... and for any offers of help.
      Andy C

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Limited or no connectivity - another one

^^^ First thing to do is Start - Run - cmd then in the DOS window type ipconfig and Enter.

The IP address should be 192.168.0.x where x should be 2 or 3. Anything else and the PC is not picking up its IP address from the router and you need to be looking at its configuration.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Rang Sky but all I got for 25 minutes was "link the second PC to the ethernet cable ..... I told the guy the two PCs were on different floors of the house and the cable wouldn't stretch that far but I got the same reply....
      I think Sky rue the day they decided to give out wireless routers. I don't think they realized the amount of support they would have to give (or not) on this one subject.

It is possible that another wireless router in your neighbourhood is causing you problems. Try changing the Channels in the router and see if that helps. Remember, if you are using Auto 108, you will have to change the mode to g&b.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Moved to the wireless forum.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The sensible route would be to take the wireless router to the PC, set it up and then plug it back into the telephone socket. Taking a PC to a router is a lot harder than taking the router to the pc after all.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Taking a PC to a router is a lot harder than taking the router to the pc after all.
      A very good point! Many don't realize that a router does not have to be plugged in to the telephone before you can connect to it. All you need is a power point and the ethernet connected to make any changes you need.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

andycov is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Guys & gals - thanks for the advice - especially about moving the router to the PC etc - blindingly obvious when you think about it - you just don't at the time. But it worked, and I'm back up and running again - so thanks for all the help - as usual this forum provides the support we would all like to see from the ISP etc...