Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Other Routers

This is a discussion on Other Routers within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, great site and already invaluable in setting-up Outlook mail. This is my first post on here so please ...

toppam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marlow
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Other Routers

Hi all, great site and already invaluable in setting-up Outlook mail.

This is my first post on here so please be gentle with me.

Having been conned into getting SKY TV on the basis of free Broadband, I now find myself having to use the 'Sky Connect' rip-off service at 17 per month (for well under 0.5MB connection!) because there is no Sky equipment in the local SHEFFORD exchange.

Anyway, back to the thread. I received a Netgear DG934G Router yesterday, and had no problems with set-up, except that the signal is very weak, even in my relatively small house.

I have an excellent Belkin Wireless Router (802.11g) that I believe would be far better in terms of range and signal strength.

Am I right in thinking that there is no way of using the Belkin in place of the Netgear? I understand it might be possible to set-up a wireless-bridge, but I would rather ditch the Netgear altogether if possible. Presumably I need a Username and Password from Sky? If I understand correctly from what I have read in the Forums, it may not be possible to get these out of Sky or extract from the latest routers.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Regards

Toppam
      Last edited by toppam; 24-11-07 at 07:45 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Other Routers

at present there's no way to get the username/password - although Sky's systems do log them when it connects.....you won't get them though

you should, in theory, be able to plug in your old router via ethernet and use it as an access point but ive no idea how to set it up...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

toppam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marlow
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Other Routers

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I think that's the way forward for now. I am going to move the sky router upstairs and hope that that will improve things elsewhere in the house. When that's settled, I had tried to set-up a wireless bridge, but there are too many settings for me to get my head round (even though there is a pretty good guide on the subject available to download from Belkin).

It is interesting that some of Sky's installers are advising that the Sky Wireless Router be located by the TV, but it seems to me that this is actually likely to cause more interference.

In addition to the reduced wireless signature, I also have some probs with the BT line. Very noisy and there is at least one problem externally where a BT-installed extension (with internal standard cable!) has come away from the wall and is now worn through to the internal cables.

I will let you know how I get on.

Toppam