Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cannot connect via wireless adapter

This is a discussion on Cannot connect via wireless adapter within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there My problem is this (and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated) I have recently set ...

fernando smallhands is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot connect via wireless adapter

Hi there

My problem is this (and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated)

I have recently set up my sky router, however I needed a wireless adapter in order to connect my PC to it, so I brought a cheap one from ebay, which didnt seem to work, and then a netgear WG111T adapter and attempted to connect it to the router after installing everything, but it will not connect. It sometimes connects for a second then nothing, just drops out, but the wireless adapter can see my router (and has around 44% signal from it) but it cannot maintain a connection.

On the wireless adapter screen I can see it is going through the channels on the router, but not connecting, I can also, with this wireless adapter, see other peoples routers, but cannot connect to them either, the same thing happens, it may connect for second, then the connection goes "red" rather then "green" and it cycles through the channels attempting to find whatever it needs.

I have had two wireless adapters now with the same problem, and have no idea what to do next.

My sky router works fine with my xbox 360 linked to it via ethernet cable.

Anyone with any ideas as to help me get a wireless signal at home would be deserving of a hero award

2. Advertisement
      terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Cannot connect via wireless adapter

It could well be that a wireless device in the area is using the same channel, and causing interference with your wireless network.

The easiest way to test and/or fix that is to log into your router using an ethernet cable (default http://192.168.0.1 user: admin password: sky) and edit the wireless settings. I set mine to 'auto' rather than going through each channel and testing it. I haven't had a problem since, as presumably the router picked the channel with least interference.

Hope that helps.

Jay3001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cannot connect via wireless adapter

Hello fernando,

I've had issues like that before. You might want to try this:

Grab your router and plug it in directly to your PC. Connect the router via the ethernet port, now unplug the wireless adapter and look for the MAC code that is printed on the side and note it down.

It will look something like this: 01:0F:B6:AC:0E:5D

Now plug it back in.

You should now be able to login to your router via your PC, use the below details:

http://192.168.0.1/

Username: admin
      Pass: sky

Once in click on Wireless Settings, then click on the Setup Access List button. In a section called Available Wireless Stations you should see 1 or 2 Unknown Devices with MAC codes beside them.

Look at the MAC code you noted down and see if its one of the Unknown devices listed. If so click on the little circle beside it to highlight that device and click Add in the same section and then Apply.

Although the best way to do this is to simple enter all your details manually so the device is not listed as Unknown. To do this use the Add New Station Manually section.

Simply enter a Device name ie Family PC and then copy and paste the correct MAC code from the list (or the one you have written down) into the MAC Address section and then click Add, Apply.

You should not be able to login wireless and not have your connection drop.
      Last edited by Jay3001; 17-11-07 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added missed details