Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recommend a Wireless Card Please

This is a discussion on Recommend a Wireless Card Please within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I've been a happy user of sky for the last few months via a wired connection. I've not redecorated ...

simonrhurst is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poulton Le Fylde
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Recommend a Wireless Card Please

Hi

I've been a happy user of sky for the last few months via a wired connection. I've not redecorated my whole house and moved the PC into the back room. I buried the cable from the phone socket in the hall under the floor and then placed solid wood flooring over the top. Something must have happened to the cable as BB was no longer working and I've since used a cable trailing from the back room and through the hall.

My options are:

1) tack a cable around two door cases and a load of skirting board which will look a right mess or
      2) go wireless

I don't really want to tack the cable around due to it looking a mess so I guess, unless you can persuade me otherwise, i'll be going wireless.

I use the standard Sky router on the max package and get decent speeds. I use my PC almost exclusively to play games.

Can someone please recommend a wireless network card to use? I also have a Nintendo Wii that admittedly doesn't get used much if that matters...

2. Advertisement
      le.bouch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kemptown, BRIGHTON
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Recommend a Wireless Card Please

If you mean PCI cards - I bought the Netgear first 'cos I thought it best to go with the Netgear router. I found it to be very picky about reception and quickly replaced it with a Belkin. This was no better - I then bought a cheap and nasty TP Link card from eBay and it's been brilliant. The software is less user-friendly than the the first two but works fine. I have since bought another two (inc one USB) and thoroughly recommend them.

Find TP-Link TL-WN550G eXtended Range 54M Wireless PCI Adapt on eBay within Accessories Parts Components, Wireless Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 02-Dec-07 16:46:52 GMT)

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonrhurst View Post
      I use my PC almost exclusively to play games.
      ^^^ If you mean online games then wireless is not a good idea. I know it might seem a pain but is there no way you could pull a new cable in, perhaps using the old one to pull it thro ?

Ps Just reread it and when you say buried I assume the sub floor is solid ? If so you could hide a new cable in the expansion gap of the laminate flooring under the edge trim ?
      Last edited by dholdi; 06-11-07 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added ps

simonrhurst is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poulton Le Fylde
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its solid wood flooring and not laminate so its not so easy, or cheap, to move. The wood is cut in around the cable making it almost impossible. I've even spoken to an eletrician and he said the only way to do it is by tacking the cable up

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Another option, dearish but more reliable than wireless, you can get adsl adapters that plug in to your 240v sockets and then using an ethernet cable at both ends connect your router in the hall, and your pc in the back room. Someone has used them on here with sucess. I'll look for a link and post it later.

Find 2 x 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Network Over Mains KIT-NEW on eBay within, Adaptors, Networking, Computing (end time 07-Nov-07 16:27:18 GMT)

this is the type of thing I mean - I'm sure there are others if you google it
      Last edited by dholdi; 06-11-07 at 08:17 PM.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Another option, dearish but more reliable than wireless, you can get adsl adapters that plug in to your 240v sockets and then using an ethernet cable at both ends connect your router in the hall, and your pc in the back room. Someone has used them on here with sucess. I'll look for a link and post it later.

Find 2 x 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Network Over Mains KIT-NEW on eBay within, Adaptors, Networking, Computing (end time 07-Nov-07 16:27:18 GMT)

this is the type of thing I mean - I'm sure there are others if you google it
      I use Devolo powerline - same thing/different make - wonderful and REALLY work straight out of the box. MUCH better than wireless.
      Last edited by allen; 06-11-07 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling correction!