Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Router and Xbox 360

This is a discussion on Wireless Router and Xbox 360 within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Being a total IT amateur (nugget) I've just signed up to Sky Broadband. They've supplied a Netgear router and it ...

garypen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Router and Xbox 360

Being a total IT amateur (nugget) I've just signed up to Sky Broadband. They've supplied a Netgear router and it connects well to the internet. Now I need to connect an Xbox 360 via the wireless network. I've plugged in the Xbox network adaptor, but it doesn't seem to recognise the netgear router - my problem.
      Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting up :-

a. wireless network access (uses terms like what's the SSID; WPA ????????? - what?)
      b. how do I get the Xbox recognised on the network ?.

Any help would be much appreciated

Garypen

2. Advertisement
      x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Router and Xbox 360

Ok, idiots guide to Xbox 360 wireless. Version 1.0

1) Turn off Xbox and plug Wireless Network Adapter into USB port at the back (notice how adapter clips onto back neatly).
      2) Turn on Xbox and navigate to the system blade of the dashboard.
      3) Select network settings.
      4) Select Edit Settings.
      5) Select the Wireless mode setting.
      6) On the Select Wireless Network Page select your wireless network (Marked SSID on the little card that came in the box with your router).
      7) Now enter your Network Key (also on the card).
      8) You should now be able to connect, if not post back with exact details of what fails.

Jay3001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello garypen,

You may also need to add your wireless network adapter to the list of permitted access devices.

First of all login to your router and click the Wireless Settings Tab, now click the Setup Access List button. (wait a few seconds)

On this screen you have Trusted Wireless Stations, Available Wireless Stations and Add New Station Manually. Look in the Available Wireless Stations section and see if there is something along the lines of Device: Unknown MAC: 00:5F:B8:AC:7E:5D.

If there is goto your Xbox360 and into the System Tab, Network Settings then Edit Settings. Now scroll across to Additional Settings and highlight the Advance Settings section and click the 'A' button.

You should see a section at the bottom called Wired MAC address. Note this number down and go back to your PC.

Now check to see (as above) if the Unknown Device matches with the MAC address you just wrote down. If it does you can simply click Add in the Add Available Wireless Stations section.

Note that your router will disconnect briefly when you do this.

Your Xbox and PC will now communicate correctly. Just power down your Xbox and restart it and your Wireless Network should show up when you search for it on your Xbox. (If you followed what x LAGER LOUT x told you)

But!! I would have to recommend that you don't just click Add to allow the Unknown device to connect as in the future you will have no clue what that is you have allowed access.

(Also instructions for if your MAC code does not show in your router settings)

Instead in the Add Available Wireless Stations section enter a proper device Name ie Xbox360 and then either copy and paste the Unknown MAC code into the MAC address section and then Click Add or enter the MAC code you got off your Xbox settings.

Make sure you add them in like so tho:
      00:5F:B8:AC:7E:5D

Not as one long number!

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Jay3001; 17-11-07 at 12:41 PM.

Jack5445 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lager Lout i followed the guide but its failing. It recognizes the wireless network adapter but fails at actually connecting.