Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless speed slows when connecting housemate's laptop/pc

This is a discussion on Wireless speed slows when connecting housemate's laptop/pc within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I haven't seen such a problem as this yet, but do forgive me if it's already been discussed. We're on ...

bleuggh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Wireless speed slows when connecting housemate's laptop/pc

I haven't seen such a problem as this yet, but do forgive me if it's already been discussed.

We're on sky max, and sync at the full 16380k down, 768k up. There are three of us connecting to the sky router (DG834GT) via wireless.

All is well when I connect my pc or laptop, speedtests show I get expected speeds of 13mb+ down and 640k+ up.

However, the moment my housemate connects and begins downloading at a reasonably slow speed of around 1mb (120K/s), my pings go sky high to game servers (500ms+), speedtests return ridiculously slow speeds (~200kbps [0.2mbit] and below) and web browsing is 56k style.

I get a full signal to the router as my bedroom is directly above the lounge where the router is situated. I use a fairly recent wireless adaptor pci-e adaptor (the only pci-express one out actually), an Abit AirPace 54g card, which is reputed for it's excellent sensitivity.

My housemate's bedroom is at the front of the house, receiving only 11mbps on 2 bars of strength using a belkin 54g pcmcia card on his laptop.

As a side note he previously had wireless performance issues alone - receiving only 5mb or a certain driver, but on rolling back to a previous driver he gets the same 13mb+ that I get (though only when he's not connected). Note also that this all happens when he connects his desktop pc too but I can't remember what signal he gets on that (he's not here at the moment).

So basically, I get full speeds when I'm connected, but the moment he starts downloading at a slow speed of 1mb, my connection suffers to a near unusable state.

Is it possible that the sky router is having to use a lot of the wireless power to transmit to his computer and not having much left for myself?

I've read the opposite scenario where the person with the low signal doesn't get any bandwidth and the person with full strength receiving most of it.

Any feedback welcome, thanks.

2. Advertisement
      machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless speed slows when connecting housemate's laptop/pc

WiFi networks share their available bandwidth with all users.
      I am not 100% sure on this point but I believe if your friend connects at 11Mbps (802.11b) then the router connects everyone at this rate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
      If this were true then the actual throughput on 802.11b can be around (Check this link for an explanation) 4Mbps which would be shared amongst you.

Would it be possible to do the same test again but with you both wired to the router?
      Then try just one person wireless then the other and see what happens.
      It might give you some clues.
      Mac.