Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Pre-setup question

This is a discussion on Pre-setup question within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just waiting for BT to reclaim our line (due to a cancelled transfer to TalkTalk - long story) and then ...

DH59 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01226
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pre-setup question

Just waiting for BT to reclaim our line (due to a cancelled transfer to TalkTalk - long story) and then we will be ordering the TV, phone and broadband package from Sky. I was wondering which make of wireless PCI card would be best with this system, or does it really matter?

I intend to set up the main PC as wired and the second PC as wireless, as I did with the set up at work (this was the first time I've set up wireless, and I read that this was the best thing to do). I may also connect a laptop at some point, but this is an old one and will need a card or USB to do so, as it does not have wireless built in.

2. Advertisement
      machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Pre-setup question

I haven't done this myself but since the DG834GT supports the 108Mbps netgear standard perhaps if you marry it up with a netgear Super G card you may be able to take advantage of the extra speed?
      Although your DSL link would be the likely bottleneck 'every little helps' as they say.
      Another thing to bear in mind is that you can also purchase WiFi USB dongles and although I don't think their range is as good as a PCI card (Small built-in aeriel) they are handy to use on another machine if you need to hook a friend up temporarily.
      Mind you the range on the DG834GT isn't very good though and you might end up using a seperate WAP (wireless access point) to get better coverage!

Mac.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that Mac.

I would probably get a dongle for the laptop if needed, but I would prefer an internal card for the desktop. I don't think I'd need the separate WAP, as both computers being used are in the same room. I think if and when I decide to include the laptop would be time to look into that situation. I will concentrate on getting the main computers linked up first, which should be simple enough as one of the two will be wired. I suppose I could even leave them both wired for that matter, assuming that the router has the necessary number of ports.

As I say, I've only set up one wireless network before - the one my workplace uses in the adjoining office to the one I work in. We are on wired in here, but the set up of the other office (three separate rooms) dictated that wireless would be less trouble than cabling wires all over across corridors. I must admit it was pretty straightforward once I'd looked into it. I was a bit paranoid about the security, though.

machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you can go wired then do wired every time.
      There are 4 ports on the back of the router BTW.
      You need to bear in mind that the available bandwidth will be shared amongst all WiFi devices. Also be aware that the true bandwidth available in WiFi is far short of the advertised speeds!
      Mac.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again, Mac. As the router has the necessary facility to stay wired, I think that's what I will do. I have been thinking that I would stay wired in the office and only use the wireless if necessary in another room, which I doubt it will be, at least for the forseeable future.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just another question - if I go with both computers using a wired network connection, do I have to do anything with the wireless settings to stop interlopers accessing my connection?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It will be encrypted out of the box but if you aren't going to use wireless then you can turn it off from the router settings wireless page.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, Paul