Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

This is driving mad - any ideas?

This is a discussion on This is driving mad - any ideas? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm on the Sky Max package btw. Anyhow, I upgrade to the Belkin N1 router about 5 months ago. Not ...

Spiceboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thatcham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is driving mad - any ideas?

I'm on the Sky Max package btw.

Anyhow, I upgrade to the Belkin N1 router about 5 months ago. Not had any problem since. Until 2 days ago. Worked fine all day. 6pm - Wireless signal disappeared. I have 4 PCs in the house - none of them could find the router. Wireless icon not lit on the router itself. Connected OK via ethernet & the settings said the Wireless portion was on & working.

Switched the box off over night & seemed to work OK the next day. Until later last night - no Wireless signal again. Swapped the box for another older Belkin G series I've got - same problem. Moved the box to a different socket - same problem.

2 hours later, gave up and re-connected the original Sky netgear router. Got Wireless signal. 2 PC's found the box and worked OK. 2 couldn't find it at all - 1 of these being the main PC in the house. Re-installed the original SKY CD, the Belkin drivers on this PC. Nothing. All I got was "scanning for Network" - "no network found". Of the 2 PC's that found the router, 1 said it had 54Mb wireless connection, but the Interent browsing speed was as bad as using dial-up.

Buried myself in a couple of beers and gave up miserably. Really want the N1 router back & working as it gives me a greater range & stronger signal.

Anyone got any ideas where to even start on this?

2. Advertisement
      machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: This is driving mad - any ideas?

If the wireless Icon is not lit on the Belkin router then I would guess that the R/F output has begun to play up and could be going south.
      What throws me is that you said you get the same prob with another Belkin box.
      I can understand the SKY router WiFi signal may not be up to scratch which would explain your poor coverage with it.
      The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps a neighbour has started using WiFi on the same channel.
      have you tried changing the WiFi channel to the opposite end of the spectrum?
      Say channel 1 or 13?
      Mac.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought that might be the case. The original channel was 3, so I've tried 1, 6 & 13. Didn't make any difference at all. Tried disabling the encryption and enabling SSID broadcast - nothing.

And same as you - the fact it's 2 boxes with the same problems is very odd. It's unlikely they have both suddenly got exactly the same fault.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I am having the exact same problem with my belkin ADSL2+ modem/router, when my 1st Sky router blew up, I wasn't prepeared to go for a week+ without internet and so I plugged my old belkin one on and like the OP I got a wi-fi signal on the factory defaults but as soon as I changed anything, even if it was security settings it dropped out.

I thought I was a duff transmitted so it went back to belkin when my new sky router appeared and I got a brand new one back under warrenty and this did exactly the same thing.

What worried me is that I could use the wi-fi if the adsl wasn't connected but plug it up to the sky network and wifi would drop out.

If I plugged in a wifi acess point in that would work through the wired part of the router, but I didn't think that it could be the same problem with a brand new router and so it has been put back in the box as a spare just in case.

I have no solutions just to let you know that I am having the exact same problem.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That doesn't sound very hopeful :-(