Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Problems

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have 1 PC and one laptop. the laptop connects to the wireless no problems at all no matter where ...

sidewinder1508 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Problems

i have 1 PC and one laptop. the laptop connects to the wireless no problems at all no matter where i go in the house it has excellent signal strength and i constantly get the 9mb download speeds my line is capable of.

the PC however is a different matter. It was working fine again good signal strength and i was getting the 9mb speeds i shud be getting thru the line but then all of a sudden the signal has dropped to very low and the speeds are at about 1mb. the computer had to be wiped and XP reinstalled due to a problem which was nothing to do with this but since then i got the patch for WPA support as before it wouldnt accept the key. now the internet connects for all of 2 seocnds then disconnects again. tht unPNP thing is turned off. i can post the stats of the router using the laptop as i cannot access it on the PC upstairs. any help much appreciated.
      Last edited by sidewinder1508; 29-10-07 at 09:51 PM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Problems

I doubt if it's a router fault if the laptop is connected ok, have you installed all updates and patches for your Windows installation and have you made sure you are running as new a set of drivers as possible for the hardware?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok i have fiund out the the WPA key was case senstive lol so its connected fine now BUT the speeds are very low and the signal is very low wen it was only 3 days ago the whole thing was excellent. any ideas?

now the net is connected im currently gettin all the updates. will get back to you once done.
      Last edited by sidewinder1508; 29-10-07 at 05:02 PM. Reason: reply from other user while i was typing

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

got the net back on but the speeds r terrible. laptop again is hittin 9mb speeds while im lucky to get 1mb speeds on this. the pc is upstairs in my room ive moved it closer to the door but still no luck. it was gettin the full 9mb download speeds a week ago then all of a sudden it dropped to this so i guess its not a router prob. im usin an MSI wireless network card atm and the speed is anyting from 5.5mbps to 11.0 mbps but if i take the pc downstairs rite by the router it hits 48-54.0mbps, i got a Netgear Rangemax 108mbps coming thru the post in the next couple of days do you think that could resolve it.

im stuck now i dnt understand why i was gettin top download speeds a week ago and all of a sudden its dropped. any advice much appreciated. b4 n e 1 asks i ran tcp optimzer and it lost my connection.
      Last edited by sidewinder1508; 31-10-07 at 04:00 PM.