Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

netgear router and N card

This is a discussion on netgear router and N card within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have netgear router which is B and G will the below work? BELKIN F5D8011UK at PC World - Buy ...

checkmate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

netgear router and N card

I have netgear router which is B and G will the below work?

BELKIN F5D8011UK at PC World - Buy cheap Wireless Network Cards - BELKIN F5D8011UK WIRELESS N LAPTOP CARD

Will it connect then disconnect often or not work at all? cause its N and not B or G

2. Advertisement
      Forthpalm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wisbech
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: netgear router and N card

Hi there

According to ebuyer.com yes it should (why would anyone use pc world)?

Belkin N1 Wireless Notebook Card - Ebuyer

Also as mentioned in these forums make sure you turn off "upnp" in the router settings That appeasrs to be the problem with the wireless signal being dropped.

Have to warn you thought that my Sky router does NOT have a very good wireless range at all. I don't think it is the router firmware which is causing the low signal perhaps just the router itself.

Quite an expensive laptop wireless card? Would you not be a lot cheaper with a USB one?

Andy

checkmate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forthpalm View Post
      Hi there

According to ebuyer.com yes it should (why would anyone use pc world)?

Belkin N1 Wireless Notebook Card - Ebuyer

Also as mentioned in these forums make sure you turn off "upnp" in the router settings That appeasrs to be the problem with the wireless signal being dropped.

Have to warn you thought that my Sky router does NOT have a very good wireless range at all. I don't think it is the router firmware which is causing the low signal perhaps just the router itself.

Quite an expensive laptop wireless card? Would you not be a lot cheaper with a USB one?

Andy

thanks,
      i will defo turn off the upnp asap..

btw i asked this question cause im trying to troubleshoot one of my friends wireless....they have same router as sky...

Basicaly she has bought the above card already. when shes near the router the signal is excellant. The router is in a garage which was transformed to new room recently so the walls maybe issue not sure. then in the same floor in living room it keeps disconnecting. Its not far away so i thought it can be the card it might not be compatible with the router so wasnt sure...when shes near the router it never disconnects when she goes in living room signal goes low and disconnects. The living room is not far away from the actual router just next room down! so its kind of bugging me!!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
      The living room is not far away from the actual router just next room down! so its kind of bugging me!!
      You have to be careful about where you place the router sometimes, because what might seem like a short distance away can actually be a very difficult path for the radio signals to travel.

Say you've got a router in one room, and a PC in the adjacent room. The router and the PC are situated right next to the wall in between, but in opposite corners. You might think that they're only 5 or 6 metres apart, with just a single wall between them, but radio waves travel in straight lines, and if you take a straight line between the router and the PC, you actually go through the wall at a very acute angle. So what seems like "just the next room" to you could seem like the going through a 4 metre thick wall for the router.