Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WEP problems

This is a discussion on WEP problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry modds, I didnt know where to post this. I've had Sky BB for a while now and service is ...

Ki113r 7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WEP problems

Sorry modds, I didnt know where to post this.

I've had Sky BB for a while now and service is good. Problem is, I wanted to play my Nintendo DS via Wi Fi. Now the DS cant get past the WPA encryption so I changed the security settings to WEP and my DS accessed the connection fine. I was able to play games online with ease but my Internet connection its self became very unstable, my laptop would lose its connection randomly all the time and then reconnect. My DS has never gotten disconnected, only my laptop and I'm not sure what the problem is. In the end I decided that I'd just restore the router to factory settings and give the online gaming a miss.

Does anyone know some way of setting up my router in WEP AND keep a stable conneciton for my DS and Laptop?

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: WEP problems

In my experience regular WEP is less trouble and starts quicker than WPA. The problem is that most new laptops don't use the familiar 64bit WEP but instead later versions which employ ridiculously long passphrases that may not work with some routers or Windows Zero Config (and most laptop manuals are unhelpfully terse on the subject).

The instability issue could be caused by the Sky UPnP bug. Turn UPnP off in the router.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know it's no help, but WEP is pretty useless and can be defeated in less than a couple of minutes.

I used to have all manner of problems with WEP connections with netgear routers, it's definitely worth turning of uPnP on the router.

I understand that there is a nintendo USB dongle which supports WPA. perhaps that is an option?

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Ki113r 7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for the help fellas, when I first configured my router to WEP I had it running with 128bit encryption and as mentioned, I had a ridiculously long passphrase but it got my DS online somehow heh.

I would invest in one of those DS Wi Fi adapters, but I feel its kinda unecessary seeing as I have a router plus its 30 and I'm only a student?!

would turning the UpNp make my WEP connection more stable? oh and wheres about on the configuration page can I find it?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25-11-07, 10:29 PM