Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Network - why can't I set it up?

This is a discussion on Wireless Network - why can't I set it up? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I had a perfectly functioning wireless set-up with my BT Voyager, all four home PCs working on it and my ...

psybear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Network - why can't I set it up?

I had a perfectly functioning wireless set-up with my BT Voyager, all four home PCs working on it and my laptop too when I needed it. File and Printer sharing was no problem.

Since moving to Sky and setting up the Netgear router all that has changed. Can't 'see' the other computers, can't share printer, it's very frustrating. Have tried re-setting the network, making sure the Workgroup name is the same etc.

I suspect that I have to do something in the Netgear configuration settings, but have no idea what. Or is it even possible to use the Netgear router for wireless networking?

Please help - this is really causing me problems!

PB

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Network - why can't I set it up?

perhaps looking at the netgear site and downloading the manual would shed some light on things - but it can definately be used for networking. its a router!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Check that wireless is on in the Sky router (it should be by default) and temporarily disable wireless encryption and firewalls in router and computer(s).

To access the Sky/Netgear user interface via Internet Explorer use an ethernet cable and read the tutorials on this site or the help files on Sky CD.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry should have made it clear - wireless is working - all the PCs are sharing the internet without problems, it's just the network issue.... I can access the Sky/Netgear interface wirelessly from any one of the PCs.
      Last edited by psybear; 20-10-07 at 07:33 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Let's go through this methodically, rather than just trying random things which may or may not make it all work. First thing you need to do is check that there is at least come kind of comunication between each of the PCs.
      1. Ensure that Wireless Isolation is disabled. It is disabled by default, but it's worth checking just to be sure. Go to the router configuration page at http://192.168.0.1/ then select the Wireless Settings page. Make sure that the Wireless Isolation tickbox is not ticked.

2. Now, on each of the PCs, open a command window by selecting Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt

3. In the command window, type
        Code:
        ipconfig
      4. The output from this program will have a line that says "IP Address" or "IPv4 Address". This is the IP address assigned to each PC. (Ignore any other line, including any line saying IPv6 address, by the way).

5. The IP addresses of all your PCs should be different from each other, and should all be in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

6. From one PC, try to "ping" one of the other PCs. For example, if you've got three PCs, with addresses 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4, go to the PC with address 192.168.0.2, and in the command window which you opened earlier, type
        Code:
        ping 192.168.0.3
      7. If it says, "Reply from 192.168.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255" then that's brilliant. You've definitely got some kind of network connection between the two machines.

8. More likely, however, the ping command will just say, "Pinging 192.168.0.3 with 32 bytes of data:" and then just say "Request timed out." four times, at roughly 5 second intervals. But there's no need to panic just yet! Now type the command
        Code:
        arp -a
        Just to be clear, you need to type: a r p space dash a

9. Look at the output of the arp command and check to see if there is a line with the address of the machine you just pinged. If there is then that proves there is some kind of connection between the two machines, but there is some kind of firewall which is stopping the pings getting through.
      So try that out, and report back saying whether you got the ping replies successfully (in step 7) and whether you saw an appropriate line in the output of the arp command.

Once we're certain that there is at least some kind of communication happening between your PC, then we can work on why Windows Networking is working between them.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi James, thanks for taking the time to help.

Successfully pinging other PCs, no problem (Steps 6/7). TTL=128

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Excellent. Well that proves your PCs can communicate with each other, and so we've eliminated the router, and wireless networking as the cause of your problems.

That means that it must be your Windows configuration that is causing the problem. Now you said that this all worked before you got Sky, so we need to work out what's changed since then.

Next thing to ask is did you install the stuff on the Sky CD that came with the router? If you did, then it's almost certain that that's what's changed your Windows Networking configuration.

Let me know if you did, then I'll install the stuff on my PC so I can try and work out what it might have done that has stopped your Windows networking working.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes to the Sky CD - evidenced by the fact that I have the related icons on my desktop. Having said that, I recall blocking some aspects of the install - I have Spybot and it flagged up that the program was attempting to change some browser setting (home page etc) so I remember not permitting those.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Right you'll have TWO layers of firewalling on your PC. One layer from the Windows software itself and another from the McAffee Personal Firewall Plus software installed from the Sky CD. You need to make sure that BOTH are letting through Windows Networking communications.

First check the Windows Firewall.
      1. Click on Start->Control Panel.

2. If your control panel says "Pick a category", click on "Network and Internet Connections", then click on "Windows Firewall".

3. If you control panel does not say "Pick a category", double-click on the "Windows Firewall" icon

4. You've probably got the "On (recommended)" option selected. That's fine, just make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" tickbox is NOT ticked.

5. Click on the "Exceptions" tab in the Windows Firewall window and make sure that the "File and Printer Sharing" tickbox IS ticked.

6. Click on the OK button, then close the Control Panel window.

Now you need to make sure that McAffee Personal Firewall Plus software isn't blocking things:
      1. From the Start menu, select All Programs->McAffee->McAfee Personal Firewall Plus

2. In the Personal Firewall Plus window, click on Options then System Services.

3. Make sure the following tickboxes are TICKED:
        • Microsoft Directory Server (MSFT DS) Port 445
        • Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) Port 135
        • Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS) Ports 137-139
        Click on OK and then close the Personal Firewall Plus window

Do that on ALL of your PCs and I reckon your Windows Networking problems will be resolved.

Cross fingers.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

James, we are nearly there!

First off, forget about McAfee, I didn't install it.

Second, I also initially discounted Windows Firewall - as I have it permanently turned off, preferring to use Kerio.

HOWEVER - having checked two of my PCs, I saw that in both Windows Firewall was enabled - I am only guessing here but I suspect that a Windows update may be responsible. Turned that off and I am now 'seeing' the other PC under the Network Places. Still can't access files unless I turn Kerio off completely, but at least I know now that it's a firewall issue (don't know why/how Kerio started interfering - possibly becuase of the new network details?).

Anyway, I think I'll be able to work this out from here. Worst case I will uninstall Kerio, reinstall it and make it 'learn' the new set-up from scratch.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast