Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Confused and i suppose annoyed

This is a discussion on Confused and i suppose annoyed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have had sky broadband for a number of months now and i am quite unhappy now i love my ...

N56
      N56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Confused and i suppose annoyed

i have had sky broadband for a number of months now and i am quite unhappy

now i love my internet and i love my gaming, i have an nintendo wii thats in my bedroom and the sky router which is downstairs it must be no more than 10-20 metres away.

in my room in general if i sit with my laptop the speeds my internet get are horrible, if i sit next to the router with wireless i get around about 8000kb a second which is great but thats the only i place i can even come close to those speeds.

which annoys me because supposed to get 16mb!!

but i have a theory..... i think my router is somehow splitting the internet speed, half wireless half not, it seems unlikely.

now im definetly getting around 16mb because when i access the router settings in modem i get:
      Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 15185 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 764 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

which u can see upstream is 15185kbps, now honestly could my router be splitting the speeds?

everything in my house is wireless, we have 3 computers all running wireless, 2 laptops running wireless and my nintendo wii running wireless if the router is splitting the connection is there any way i can get the majority of it onto wireless because everything is wireless!!!

thats it but any help i can get would be great

P.S sorry for the rambling lol

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Confused and i suppose annoyed

your router sync is fine

i cant help on the wireless side (imho use wired)
      Last edited by richone54; 20-10-07 at 12:26 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Confused and i suppose annoyed

Remember if you have 3 or 4 devices connected the bandwidth is shared between them, so you are not going to see 16mb on any of them. Connect one machine wired to the router and try a speed test. This is the total you will get and all the machines have to share this. Apart from this, wireless is not very dependable, especially with the Sky router, you need almost perfect conditions for a stable high speed connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.